Topic "Remember password for current session only"

jsherk
[View user's profile]

I do not store my passwords, so whenever I start up WinSCP and choose a server to connect with, it will always ask me for my password.

If the server disconnects me though, I have to re-enter my password to re-connect.

I would like the option of it remembering my password for the current seesion, until I close WinSCP. This way I can enter it once when I start up, but I won't have to enter it again it I get disconnected.

Thanks
Advertisements
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
I'll consider it. For now, you can use Edit button to load the session to Login dialog, enter password and click Login.

THanks for consideration.

I do not want to store password under EDIT ... when I startup winscp I want it to always ask for password the first time. And then it would remember it only for as long as winscp is running. Once winscp shutsdown, then it would require you to enter it again when it starts back up.

Thanks
jsherk
[View user's profile]

I just thought of another good use case for this feature...

When I am logged in via SFTP and I want to run a command that requires SCP, it currently asks me to enter my password again... if password was stored, then it would just connect and run the command without asking me.

Thanks
glauber
[View user's profile]

Filezilla does this (saves passwords in memory until the application is terminated). I agree it's a nice feature.
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
jsherk wrote:
I do not want to store password under EDIT ... when I startup winscp I want it to always ask for password the first time. And then it would remember it only for as long as winscp is running. Once winscp shutsdown, then it would require you to enter it again when it starts back up.

That's exactly what it would do. Give it a try.
jsherk
[View user's profile]

Ah yes... you are right! I had (wrongly) assumed that entering your password on the Edit screen would save it permanently!

My only request now, is an option so that when you click Edit that it defaults in the Password field and not the Host Name field.

Thanks
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
jsherk wrote:
My only request now, is an option so that when you click Edit that it defaults in the Password field and not the Host Name field.

I do not understand. Please try to explain it again.
jsherk
[View user's profile]

Ok..

Normal login requires that I do the following:
-Double-click the desired stored session.
-Enter my password.
This is a very quick and easy login! But the problem is that it does not remember my password if I am disconnected and it will also require me to re-enter my password if I try to execute a command that requires SCP.

Login via the EDIT button requires:
-Single click the desired stored session.
-Move mouse over to Edit button and click Edit button.
-Move mouse over the Password field and click to focus on Password field.
-Enter my Password.
This method solves the problem mentioned above, but it requires a lot more mouse movement and clicks for the initial login.

So I guess I need to change my request back to my original request again ...
When I double-click my stored session and it immediately asks for my password, I would like to have an option that allows this method of login to remember my password, just like clicking the Edit button method does.

See screen shot of idea here, where it says "Remember Password for entire session":
http://www.forerunnertv.com/winscp1.jpg

Let me know if I am making sense!

Thanks
martin
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
OK.
Site Admin
To learn when and how passwords are saved to stored session and remembered in memory please read:
http://winscp.net/eng/docs/security_credentials
Advertisements

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

Donate

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

Recommend

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License