Native 64-bit version

Advertisement

hochgurgler
Donor

Native 64-bit version

<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>

"As of June 2010, we see that 46% of all PCs worldwide running Windows 7 are running a 64-bit edition of Windows 7."

With Dell shipping 64-bit versions of Windows 7 by default, this proportion looks set to go up and up.

So this is a request a 64-bit native version of WinSCP.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Native 64-bit version

I'm currently not able to provide 64bit version. Moreover I do not see a big advantage of having native 64bit version.

hochgurgler
Donor

martin wrote:

I'm currently not able to provide 64bit version. Moreover I do not see a big advantage of having native 64bit version.

OK.

For reference, we should clarify the reasoning. In this way anyone coming along later with the same question will be able to understand the issues.

There is currently no 64-bit Windows native version of WinSCP.

We do not have sufficient identified advantage to having a native 64-bit version at this time.

Would it also be true to say that you do not have access to a suitable 64-bit Windows system to develop against?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

hochgurgler wrote:

Would it also be true to say that you do not have access to a suitable 64-bit Windows system to develop against?
Well that's also true. But only because I wasn't looking for one, having no reason.

Hilari0n

I'd really like to have WinSCP in native 64-bit version.
I'm using explorer style WinSCP window and operate by drag & drop. Under 64 bit Windows 7 it means that I'll have no access to background transfer functionality, which is one of the many important features of WinSCP.
I really hope that you'll find a way and time for this.

Thank you for this - otherwise excelent - tool.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Hilari0n wrote:

Under 64 bit Windows 7 it means that I'll have no access to background transfer functionality, which is one of the many important features of WinSCP.
Can you remind me why?

Hilari0n

You mean why I do not have access to background transfers or why is it an important feature? I assume the first.
"Use shell extension" option does not work for me (I get message that WinSCP was unable to detect where to I dragged my files and/or get empty folder instead). Maybe the WinSCP shell extension is 32-bit, which means it will not work on 64-bit Windows.
I have to use "Use temporary folder" for drag & drop, which - for some reason - does not allow background transfers.

Hilarion
Hilarion avatar

WoW!

I forgot I had an account here :lol:
Both "Hilari0n" posts above are by me.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

The are both 32 and 64 bit versions of the extension. Can you try to reinstall WinSCP? If it does not help, let me know.

Advertisement

Hilarion
Hilarion avatar

I uninstalled version 4.2.9, restarted and reinstalled it. The problem with drag & drop persisted. I uninstalled again and installed 4.3.1 - same here and new problems appeared. Version 4.3.1 can't connect to FTP servers version 4.2.9 could access.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Hilarion wrote:

I uninstalled version 4.2.9, restarted and reinstalled it. The problem with drag & drop persisted. I uninstalled again and installed 4.3.1 - same here and new problems appeared. Version 4.3.1 can't connect to FTP servers version 4.2.9 could access.
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Hilarion
Hilarion avatar

martin wrote:

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

E-mail sent.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum