Connecting to Ubuntu using Public Keys

Advertisement

mike_abc
Donor

Connecting to Ubuntu using Public Keys

Hi,

I would like to do the following: connect to my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop from my WinXP SP3 desktop using
RSA public & private keys & no passwords (the way it works between Ubuntu systems with such configuration).

I understand that the private key is protected by a passphrase (because Windows shortcomings, I guess), but other than that, no user input should be needed for such a connection.

Is there a good tutorial on this or a sticky post somewhere on this forum, orelse, can someone answer my question ?

(I know what steps are needed in Linux to make SSH work, but what about WinSCP ?)

Thanx.

Advertisement

mike_abc
Donor

I found out how to do it (www.andremolnar.com gave me the idea, although NOT the way he suggests it, THANX anyway !), and tried to reply to this post (40 lines).

When I tried to submit the reply, the forum said: refrain from using the word "kkeeyyggeenn" (extract actual word), it's considered spam - and wiped out my whole reply !!

This is hysterical !

Bye-bye !

mike_abc
Donor

Well, anyway...

The steps are:

(1) Convert public key (generated by puttygen.exe on the client, winXP machine) from SSH-2 to OpenSSH on (Ubuntu) server using ...
(2) Add the public key to your authorized_keys file on the (Ubuntu) server
(3) Configure WinSCP to use RSA as Authentication algorithm
(4) Connect (using passphrase)

Cheers

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum