Topic "Cannot delete files, receving error message"

I have checked the FAQ and forum several times for this question but I am not getting anywhere; could someone please help? When I try to delete a folder from the remote server I receive an error message:

Error moving file 'testfile.txt' to '/tmp/testfile-20110728-144157.txt'. General failure (server should provide error description). Error code: 4 Error message from server: Failure Request code: 18

I am guessing that it is trying to move the file to a tmp directory to use as a recycle bin, but I don't want to move the file to a recycle bin on the server, I want to simply delete it. Is there a setting I can change in the WinSCP options?

Thank you very much.

I meant to say... I am trying to delete a FILE not a folder. Thanks again for any help you can provide.
[View user's profile]
Site Admin
Please read documentation:
Martin Prikryl
Alejandro Gavilanes

Had same problem as you reported and after a bit of trouble shooting found that it was caused by our linux server not having the /tmp/ directory on root.

To fix this in my case I had to point WinSCP session settings (advanced tab) and change the path of the Remote recycle bin, to a valid location.

Other option I suspect is create a folder on linux root called tmp, if you have access.

You can post new topics in this forum

Search Site

What is WinSCP?

It is award-winning SFTP client, SCP client, FTPS client and FTP client integrated into one software program for file transfer to FTP server or secure SFTP server. [More]

And it's free!

About donations

$9   $19   $49   $99

About donations

WinSCP Privacy Policy

WinSCP License