Newbie Question: "Batch PDF Uploads"

Advertisement

Bobby

Newbie Question: "Batch PDF Uploads"

Hello,

I usually upload to my server from the command line, and Dreamweaver infrequently.

We have a new application to upload PDFs. The volume could grow to uploading about 250 to 500 PDFs daily.

Do you have a capability in your WinSCP client which enables me to upload the PDFs as a batch. Let's say I've got 250 PDFs in folder Origin1 on my C: drive [MS XP Home], and want to upload them to folder Destination1 on my server [FreeBSD].

Name001.pdf
Name002.pdf
Name003.pdf
:
Name250.pdf

Rather than uploading 250 times from the command line - ftp>put "Name001.pdf" through to ftp>put "Name250.pdf" – I'd like to be able to somehow use WinSCP and say "upload contents from Origin1 to Destination1." Then I could leave it, and work on something else.

If this is possible, how does the client deal with server timeouts?

Thank you for any replies,

Bobby

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Newbie Question: "Batch PDF Uploads"

You can do "put *.pdf" (to upload all PDF files from current directory) or "put X:\directory\" (to upload all files from specified directory). See examples in "help put".

Bobby

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

There is a revision to our process based on new information from our supplier - as follows:

The requirement is now to upload each PDF to its own folder. For example, the following PDFs:

Name001.pdf
Name002.pdf
Name003.pdf
:
Name250.pdf

Will be uploaded one PDF per folder, to the folders:

Destination1
Destination2
Destination3
:
Destination250

We do not have a preference to continue uploading from the command line.

Does your FTP client have the ability – either as a standard feature/function or via automation – to achieve the following, or similar, process?

For X=1, 250
Upload file NameX.pdf to folder DestinationX
Continue if X < = 250

Regards,

Bobby

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Take any scripting language (Perl, PHP, etc.) and make script that generates upload script for WinSCP.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum