Remote backup with winscp

Advertisement

webby

Remote backup with winscp

I was wondering if I can use winscp to make remote backups to my windows computer from my linux computer. I am hoping to transfer files to my windows computer and preserve all of my permissions, so I figures I could do that if I tared and gziped the files first. The problem with that is, I don't have enough space on my linux machine to store all the compressed files before transfering. Is there any way to transfer and tar files to my windows computer without having to write them all on the linux computer first using winscp?

Thanks

Advertisement

webby2

Re: Remote backup with winscp

I was thinking that permissions would be preserved in a tar file, even if it were stored on a windows machine. I didn't know if there was a way to tar and send without having to write the whole tar file to my linux drive.

I think tar can write to the stdout instead of to a file with the -O option. I believe ftp can retrieve from the stdout using |.

So I think with ftp it would be something like:

get | "tar -cvfO dir_to_be_tared" localfile.tar

Is there a way to do something similar to that with sftp inside of winscp?

Thanks,

John

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

webby2 wrote:

I'm afraid, not.

PetitQuebec

webby2 wrote:

I was thinking that permissions would be preserved in a tar file, even if it were stored on a windows machine. I didn't know if there was a way to tar and send without having to write the whole tar file to my linux drive.

I think tar can write to the stdout instead of to a file with the -O option. I believe ftp can retrieve from the stdout using |.

So I think with ftp it would be something like:

get | "tar -cvfO dir_to_be_tared" localfile.tar

Thanks,

John

If I may .. tar is great, but give "rar" a test
Something like "rar a -v700m -m2 -tk -ms -agDD-MMM-YY archive_ /home/user/folder1"
It will automaticaly span on the fly cd size compress archives
Then use WinSCP to dowload the first rar .. yes you will need free space

If you realy want to backup that way, go with Cygwin and NFS

How about an inexpensive DVD burner on you Linux box with "cdrtools"

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum