two way auto synchronization

Advertisement

Chris

two way auto synchronization

Hi

Can WinSCP be configure so that it will do a two way synchronization; that is detects changes on both the server and the local PC?

I see that there ia local, remote but I do not think this will do what I want.

I am trying to get WinSCP to mirror all files on more than one PC. Example I edit a file at home. It is detetected and updated on the server. When I go to work, WinSCP will update to file on that PC.

Another example; I delete a file at work, it is then deleteed from the server. Whan at home, I start up WinSCP, synchronises and it then deletes the file onthe home PC.

Can WinSCP do this?

Thanks

Chris

Advertisement

Help

It doesn't look like it can.
I've tried with "both" and synchdelete, but every time I delete a file on one computer it just puts it back.
Help?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Help

guest wrote:

It doesn't look like it can.
I've tried with "both" and synchdelete, but every time I delete a file on one computer it just puts it back.
Help?
That's how it should work. How do you tell if the file was deleted on one side or created on the other? Apparently the safe way is to consider it to be added.

Adam

martin wrote:

That's how it should work. How do you tell if the file was deleted on one side or created on the other? Apparently the safe way is to consider it to be added.

is there a way to add an option to have it sync changes to the files, but prompt when a file is created/deleted?
possibly have a setting in the options page on either adding the missing file (as it is now) or prompting to either add or remove?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Adam wrote:

is there a way to add an option to have it sync changes to the files, but prompt when a file is created/deleted?
possibly have a setting in the options page on either adding the missing file (as it is now) or prompting to either add or remove?
Just to be sure, if I understand what you want: When WinSCP detects a change, it should display some confirmation before actually performing the synchronization, right? Something like synchronization checklist for full synchronization?
This is not that easy to do conveniently. Because, if you refuse to add/remove certain file once, the directories will stay unsynchronized. So with every future change in the same directory, you will be prompted with the unsynchronized file again and again. It is even worse that Windows report changes time to time, that makes no difference to you, but WinSCP cannot know that and you will be prompted with the file, even if you actually do not change anything.

I'm sorry... i must have been unclear...

if windows and/or a program makes a change to an existing file (aka you clicked save)... then WinSCP will preform the update, just like it does now.

but if you CREATE or DELETE a file, THEN it would prompt you,

in other words, when we are working on files, and we save the changes, we want it to be auto-synced... but if we would create a new file or delete an existing one, then it would ask us what we want to do (create or delete?)...
i am not sure if there is a way to have it detect if the file was created or deleted, as i do not know the code of the syncronize feature.

from what i can tell, basically want we want is a merged form of the "keep remote directory up to date" and the 'both' option in the "syncronize".... so when we make a change locally, it would just keep the remote directory up-to-date (as it does now) but if we make a change on the remote computer, then the change would be synced down to the local copy of the file...

does that make sence?[/i]

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

in other words, when we are working on files, and we save the changes, we want it to be auto-synced... but if we would create a new file or delete an existing one, then it would ask us what we want to do (create or delete?)...
i am not sure if there is a way to have it detect if the file was created or deleted, as i do not know the code of the syncronize feature.
That's what I've meant. But it is not easy to do, because of the reasons above.

from what i can tell, basically want we want is a merged form of the "keep remote directory up to date" and the 'both' option in the "syncronize".... so when we make a change locally, it would just keep the remote directory up-to-date (as it does now) but if we make a change on the remote computer, then the change would be synced down to the local copy of the file...
I do not see relation of this with the previous, sorry :-(

Advertisement

Two-Way synchronization with delete by C#

Is it possible to do two-way synchronization with delete in C# instead of PowerShell?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum