Too much visible in File manager window

Advertisement

jsearles

Too much visible in File manager window

Please note that I am new to remote access, so this may be a stupid question.

I set up a new user on my server. When I access it using WinSCP everything from the root directory down is shown and I am able to view many files including all files in /etc. It does not allow me to save the changes though.

From Putty, I only see the home dir. My assumption is that WInSCP would only show me the home dir for this user also. Please help.

Using ver 3.8 with SFTP.

J.

Advertisement

That's the problem. I do nothing different. I just give putty a UserId And PW and it shows only the home dir for that user. WinSCP shows much more.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

That's the problem. I do nothing different. I just give putty a UserId And PW and it shows only the home dir for that user. WinSCP shows much more.
But you have to do some setup on server-side to restrict user into his home directory.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

jsearles wrote:

Of course, I do a useradd where I set the home dir (-d). Putty seems to honor this home dir. WinSCP seems not to.
But this does not restrict user to the directory, it just makes it the initial one. I guess that if you type "cd /" in the console, you would get to the root nevertheless.

jsearles

Martin,
U R absolutely correct. The fault is in my understanding of the Linux Home Directory feature. I'll have to do some reviewing. Thanks for your patience.

John

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum