Problem with Desktop Shortcut

Advertisement

Bhola

:lol: I have strange problem. I have created desktop icons for each connection. If I double click on this shortcut it does not connect and if I click on the actual session in winscp it connects? IS there any fix for this? As you all know this is very useful feature if you have about 10-15 connection- B :roll:

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Problem with Desktop Shortcut

What does it mean "it does not connect"? Program does not start at all? Only login screen is displayed? Some error occurs? ...

Bhola

Thanks for prompr reply.
Yes, It bring up the small window for connecting to host and no error after. If I open winscp and double click on the same connetion it connects.
I try to capture the screen but can not do that. Also I have to kill that by going in task manager as it shows not responding. I am using windows 2000 pro. I have tried this on 3 machine and same thing happen.
B

Bhola

Bhola wrote:

Thanks for prompr reply.
Yes, It bring up the small window for connecting to host and no error after. If I open winscp and double click on the same connetion it connects.
I try to capture the screen but can not do that. Also I have to kill that by going in task manager as it shows not responding. I am using windows 2000 pro. I have tried this on 3 machine and same thing happen.
B

One more thing, I trid from dos window. I switch to the winscp2 folder and then I issue command winscp2 "name of the connection" and same thing. For some reason it does not connect form the desktop ICON.-B

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Bhola wrote:

Thanks for prompr reply.
Yes, It bring up the small window for connecting to host and no error after.
Please post a log file.

Advertisement

Bhola

martin wrote:

Bhola wrote:

Thanks for prompr reply.
Yes, It bring up the small window for connecting to host and no error after.
Please post a log file.

Here is a log file. I have cleared log before so it only show the last session. And for security reason I have replace IP address by xxx...Btw, this is a log using shortcut.

Log file
". --------------------------------------------------------------------------
. WinSCP Version 2.3.0 (Build 146)
. Login time: Monday, June 30, 2003 9:10:57 AM
. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
. Session name: ashah@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
. Host name: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Port: 22)
. User name: ashah (Password: Yes, Key file: No)
. SSH protocol version: 2; Compression: No
. Agent forwarding: No; TIS/CryptoCard: No; KI: Yes
. Ciphers: aes,blowfish,3des,WARN,des; Ssh2DES: No
. Ping interval: 0 sec (0 = off); Timeout: 15 sec
. SSH Bugs: A,A,A,A,A,A,A,
. Proxy: HTTP
. HostName: proxy.xx.xxx.com (Port: xxx); Username: ; Passwd: No
. Return code variable: Autodetect; Lookup user groups: Yes
. Shell: default, EOL: 0
. Local directory: default, Remote directory: home, Update: No, Cache: Yes
. Clear aliases: Yes, Unset nat.vars: Yes
. Alias LS: No, Ign LS warn: Yes, Scp1 Comp: No
. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
. Looking up host "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
. Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22
. Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.5p1
. We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Local: Apr 23 2003 11:38:40
. Using SSH protocol version 2"

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Does the settings from the log file correspond to the settings of your session? Are you sure that you have stored session with name 'ashah@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'? When WinSCP parameter is in format aaa@bbb and aaa@bbb is not name of any stored session, it tries to connect to host bbb with username aaa and default settings.

Bhola

martin wrote:

Does the settings from the log file correspond to the settings of your session? Are you sure that you have stored session with name 'ashah@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'? When WinSCP parameter is in format aaa@bbb and aaa@bbb is not name of any stored session, it tries to connect to host bbb with username aaa and default settings.

Yes the name of session is ashah@xxx.xxx (host name). This means ashah will connect to the xxx.xxx (host). In winscp windows, I have created this session and then have created desktop shortcut from there.
If I click on the actual session from winscp window it connect, but not from desktop shortcut. I have this problem on almost every computer I have winscp. One thing though, I have to use proxy to go out to Internet.-B

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Bhola wrote:

Yes the name of session is ashah@xxx.xxx (host name). This means ashah will connect to the xxx.xxx (host). In winscp windows, I have created this session and then have created desktop shortcut from there.
If I click on the actual session from winscp window it connect, but not from desktop shortcut. I have this problem on almost every computer I have winscp. One thing though, I have to use proxy to go out to Internet.-B
I'm sorry, but I've run out of ideas :-( If you find anything, please let me know.

Advertisement

Bhola

martin wrote:

Bhola wrote:

I'm sorry, but I've run out of ideas :-( If you find anything, please let me know.

Now interestingly enough, I tried with SSH port forwarding using desktop icon and it worked. But when I am connecting to SSH srever using winscp by desktop icon it freeze. Do you think it is because of proxy settings? As the difference between both is direct connection is to specific host in against SSH prot forwarding is localhost.
I should try using a direct connection and see what happen.-B

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Bhola wrote:

Now interestingly enough, I tried with SSH port forwarding using desktop icon and it worked. But when I am connecting to SSH srever using winscp by desktop icon it freeze. Do you think it is because of proxy settings?
It may be something with proxy. If it would work for your without proxy, let me know. I do not have any proxy to try myself.

Bhola

martin wrote:

Bhola wrote:

Now interestingly enough, I tried with SSH port forwarding using desktop icon and it worked. But when I am connecting to SSH srever using winscp by desktop icon it freeze. Do you think it is because of proxy settings?
It may be something with proxy. If it would work for your without proxy, let me know. I do not have any proxy to try myself.

Ok, Now it worked with proxy or SSH port forwarding from the WinSCP window. If I use desktop ICON it work with port forwarding settings but not with proxy settings. Now my proxy is fine as you can see it worked with WinSCP window open and if I select this session. If I create a desktop ICON for this session it does not work-B

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Bhola wrote:

Ok, Now it worked with proxy or SSH port forwarding from the WinSCP window. If I use desktop ICON it work with port forwarding settings but not with proxy settings. Now my proxy is fine as you can see it worked with WinSCP window open and if I select this session. If I create a desktop ICON for this session it does not work-B
Please try latest release (3.2). Let me know what were the results like.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: What is the host name?

Gladys wrote:

Is the host name my e-mail address?
No. It address or name of the computer you are trying to connect to.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum