Charset translation for file names between host and windows

Advertisement

Andrey Borzenkov

Charset translation for file names between host and windows

It would be very nice if this be supported. E.g. de-facto standard for Unix in Russian is KOI8 which does not look quite nicely under windows ...

putty fully supports charset translation (using native windows fonts) which makes it one of the best terminal applications. let's make winscp to match it :)

Advertisement

Met

Re: Charset translation for file names between host and windows

Yes, encoding translation is good. We have BSD server with Samba end everything is written in Win-1250 encoding. I think I am not the only, who has similar problem.

Creator

Encoding

It will very usefull.

I recomment to load encodings from files, and users will can create his encodings himself.

File will be a binari file, 256 bytes (all chars), where specified, what symbol replaces on what.

For example:

void convert(char* sSourceFileName)
{
Encoding=LoadFromFile("koi8.enc");
For i:=0 to sSourceFileName.Len()-1 do
sSourceFileName[i]=Encoding[sSourceFileName[i]];
}

And all file names will be convertes as users want.

Now it is imposible to store files with non-english encodings from server to local mashine, becouse 'invalid file name', if encoding on server different from encoding on local mashine, but it is all time, becouse server is Linux, where 'koi8', but local mashine is Windows where 'win'.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Character set translation is still on the wishlist. However note that this functionality was not ranked high on the recent user poll. So consequently it does not have high priority on the wishlist.

PCJohn

Re: Charset translation for file names between host and wind

That's the only extension I am missing.
(But I know, the life is short to program everything.)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

PCJohn wrote:

That's the only extension I am missing.
(But I know, the life is short to program everything.)
Since 3.7.1 WinSCP supports Unicode encoding for SFTP4. So if your server supports SFTP4, the translation should work. If not, ask your vendor to implement it.

Advertisement

PCJohn

martin wrote:

So if your server supports SFTP4, the translation should work.
Does OpenSSH support SFTP4? It looks like not for now.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

PCJohn wrote:

Does OpenSSH support SFTP4? It looks like not for now.
It does not. OpenSSH SFTP server is poor one. It seems that they haven't made any changes in the server for years.

AnrDaemon

Just stumbled upon this issue muyself. :(
My hoster is using KOI8-R encoding on their servers (Dunno why not the UTF8, but that's up to them), and historically, I have many files uploaded with non-ASCII names... I'd like to have ability to abandon FTP plugin in favor of WinSCP, but the absence of encoding translation preventing the move.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum