Speedup keepuptodate by syncing only really changed files

Advertisement

Dmitry Koterov

Speedup keepuptodate by syncing only really changed files

Suppose I have 300 files in a directory. I set up the keepuptodate mode, then - modify ONE file of this 200. This causes WinSCP to re-sync all 300 files. It is too slow (about 1-2 minutes because of a large ping in my situation) and totally unusable.

The documentation says:
WinSCP will only detect that something has changed in the directory; it won't know what the specific change was. So it must perform a full synchronization of that directory.

The question is - why? Why not to save timestamps of all files in a directory in the memory and then - sync only changed files? It would perform much faster! If you release this change, WinSCP will become THE ONE and the best application in the world which supports such fast synchronization...

Advertisement

Dmitry Koterov

Oh, "totally unusable" - I meant "totally unusable in my case, with my ping".

Meanwhile, I checked other utilities (SftpDrive, WebDrive etc.) - they are all cannot synchronize files so fast as it could do WinSCP if it will support "send only changed files" mode...

Dmitry Koterov

Oh! I have specified SCP protocol for my session. I changed it to SFTP and now everything works very fast - only really changed files are transferred.

Maybe add this issue to the documentation?

Thank you!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Dmitry Koterov wrote:

Oh! I have specified SCP protocol for my session. I changed it to SFTP and now everything works very fast - only really changed files are transferred.

Maybe add this issue to the documentation?
It should work with SCP too. But probably with SCP your timestamps are not synchronized. Please read FAQ.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum