Two questions

Advertisement

yosmc2

Two questions

There are two issues which have been buggin me for quite some time - since they are most likely feature requests I put them in here (but who knows, maybe it turns out that they are bugs, or I simply haven't found the options yet where I can reconfigure them to my needs).

1. Since several versions it is not possible anymore to open the same file twice. Is it somehow possible to change this behavior? Because many of the remote files I open are log files - they change constantly and it absolutely makes sense for me to have multiple versions of the same file open so I can compare them.

2. When going back in a directory, I often click on the topmost directory icon (the one that moves you up a directory level) several times. Unfortunately, in the next directory this icon isn't always at the top, so I end up clicking myself into a directory I don't want to. Maybe it's possible to change behavior so the "move up a directory" icon is always at the top?

I know those may not look like crucially important issues - but hey, the program is perfect otherwise. Keep up the great work!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Two questions

yosmc2 wrote:

1. Since several versions it is not possible anymore to open the same file twice. Is it somehow possible to change this behavior? Because many of the remote files I open are log files - they change constantly and it absolutely makes sense for me to have multiple versions of the same file open so I can compare them.
It would make sense for a viewer, if WinSCP had one (see tracker). IMHO, it does not make sense with editor.

2. When going back in a directory, I often click on the topmost directory icon (the one that moves you up a directory level) several times. Unfortunately, in the next directory this icon isn't always at the top, so I end up clicking myself into a directory I don't want to. Maybe it's possible to change behavior so the "move up a directory" icon is always at the top?
The parent directory is always the first, isn't it? Or do you mean that it may be scrolled off the screen?
Anyway, you can use the clickable path above panel to move to any ancestor directory (in Commander interface).

yosmc

Martin, thanks for your reply. Not sure - why does it make a difference if there is a viewer or not? IMHO it's useful to be able to view multiple instances of a file no matter which program you use for viewing. And again - I'm fairly certain this was possible two or three years ago, which is why I'm not sure if the "new" behavior is an intended feature or not.

Yes, I mean that when clicking back, you are not scrolled to the top, but to the directory you came from. Since it's rather unlikely that you'll want to click on the directory you just came from, being automatically scrolled to the top of the directory would seem more natural to me. Like I said, no biggie, but since it's something I've been stumbling over again and again over the years, I thought I'd mention it. I will try and see if I can get used to clicking on the parent directory icon instead (thanks for pointing it out).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

yosmc wrote:

Martin, thanks for your reply. Not sure - why does it make a difference if there is a viewer or not? IMHO it's useful to be able to view multiple instances of a file no matter which program you use for viewing. And again - I'm fairly certain this was possible two or three years ago, which is why I'm not sure if the "new" behavior is an intended feature or not.
I understand that it is useful to have one file opened in more viewers (immutable). But it is wrong to allow to have one file opened in more editors (mutable).

Yes, I mean that when clicking back, you are not scrolled to the top, but to the directory you came from. Since it's rather unlikely that you'll want to click on the directory you just came from, being automatically scrolled to the top of the directory would seem more natural to me.
It is common behaviour in commander-style file managers. I find it useful. E.g. if you want to peek into directory before deleting or transferring it. Or if you want to peek into multiple directories, one after another.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum