error 3 the system cannot find the path specified

Advertisement

bfarber

error 3 the system cannot find the path specified

When I use the "edit" command on a remote file and try to save the file, I end up getting "Could not save file: (filename)" and when I hit ok I get "can't open file (tempfilename) (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified)".

I tried changing the temp directory figuring it was a permissions or path issue to a general temp folder (S:\temp) but it does the same thing. My editor does save the file and I can then manually upload the file, but this is a bit of a hassle.

I'm running WinXP Pro x64. Does anyone know a way I can resolve this?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: error 3 the system cannot find the path specified

What does display the errors? Editor or WinSCP? What editor are you using?

bfarber

The editor displays the errors. I'm using 'e', which is a Windows equivalent to Textmate (basically).

Here's a fuller example. I open the SCP connection and navigate to the directory. I right click a file and choose "Edit". My editor launches with the file. The titlebar shows the path to the file as "S:\TMP\scp10906\docs\faqs.php". I choose save (making no edits for this particular test) and I get a dialog box with a title of "e Error" that says "Could not save file: S:\TMP\scp10906\docs\faqs.php".

I hit Ok on the dialog box and get another with title "E Error" that says "can't open file 'S:\TMP\scp10906\docs\faqs.php.etmp' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)". I hit Ok, and nothing else happens.

I go to Options -> Preferences -> Editors and change the editor to Crimson Editor, another editor that I use....

And it works. :? When I save it reuploads the file as it should.

Ok, so it appears this is a problem with the editor. If anyone has any ideas what or why this problem is occuring let me know, but I think I'll go ahead and post in their support forums. Thanks anyways!

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum