Password Expiration

Advertisement

Russ

Password Expiration

I have some sftp-only accounts that use WinSCP. These users have been calling me lately because their passwords have expired but they are a bit confused. When a password expires, there is no notification just "New Password". Apparently this isn't evidence enough for these people that the password has expired, so I'm hoping it can be labeled either in the message box above the password or a pop-up window or something that tells them their password has expired.

In addition to that, our users tend to pick a password and add a number to the end. When it expires, they reuse the password and just pick a different number ("passwd2" goes to "passwd3", and so on). On our system, that fails because there is not a significant difference between passwords. This is good, but WinSCP does not communicate why that fails, it just goes back to the "Password" prompt. Only after the user presses Cancel will it display that the new password must be different by 3 or more characters. I'm hoping this is a message that could also be displayed in the text box in the top of the password window. This could help remove the ambiguity of password expiration for my users.

Thanks for such a great product.

Russ Oliver
tick@uwyo.edu
University of Wyoming

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Password Expiration

Can you post a log file showing what you have described? I mean at least one unsuccessful prompt for new password, followed by one successful. Thanks.

Ray

martin wrote:

Can you post a log file showing what you have described? I mean at least one unsuccessful prompt for new password, followed by one successful. Thanks.

Please let me know if you have found a solution I too have the same problem

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ray wrote:

Please let me know if you have found a solution I too have the same problem
Can you post a log file?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum