A putty like support question (SSH)

Advertisement

C3PO
Joined:
Posts:
5
Location:
Russia, Moscow

A putty like support question (SSH)

WINSCP plugin is a powerful tool to access servers. Due to FAR design a user can make some jobs faster than from SSH clients or native file managers. Yet one thing it lacks is to ability to interact with server. It's not possible just to stay with FAR Plugin one would still need SSH client like putty. And putty needs interface like FAR. Neither of the solutions is complete.

I'm sure it would be a great contribution to the community if someone would implement PUTTY Far Plugin and may be an experienced winscp team could do it better than most.

(I wonder if it possible with SCP protocol to interact with server)

Reply with quote

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
27,253
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: A putty like support question (SSH)

What functionality would you expect from such plugin?
Do you known that you can execute remote commands from FAR command line?
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

C3PO
Joined:
Posts:
5
Location:
Russia, Moscow

Re: A putty like support question (SSH)

martin wrote:

What functionality would you expect from such plugin?
Do you known that you can execute remote commands from FAR command line?

Yes, I use it every time. I want to be able to send keyboard input to a host. Say if anything at server side requires keyboard input the WINSCP plugin would freez.
Example - if you run
sudo chown some_user some_file    
the plugin would work Ok but if you run
su -l some_user    
the plugin would fail, because su -l some_user would expect password on stdin and somehow WinSCP cannot handle it.

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
27,253
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: A putty like support question (SSH)

OK, so what about running PLink from the FAR console window?
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

C3PO
Joined:
Posts:
5
Location:
Russia, Moscow

Re: A putty like support question (SSH)

martin wrote:

OK, so what about running PLink from the FAR console window?

Plink (PuTTY Link) is a command-line connection tool similar to UNIX ssh. It is mostly used for automated operations, such as making CVS access a repository on a remote server.

Plink is probably not what you want if you want to run an interactive session in a console window.

I would be very grateful if you could describe in details how one can make WinSCP plugin to interact with server using Plink? Many users would love to have interactive winscp plugin and you might help many of us. There are quite a few tasks that involve keyboard interactions.... for which one would need to run Putty, and that is the main pitfall of winscp plugin (it just freezes)

Reply with quote

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar
Joined:
Posts:
27,253
Location:
Prague, Czechia

Re: A putty like support question (SSH)

C3PO wrote:

I would be very grateful if you could describe in details how one can make WinSCP plugin to interact with server using Plink? Many users would love to have interactive winscp plugin and you might help many of us. There are quite a few tasks that involve keyboard interactions.... for which one would need to run Putty, and that is the main pitfall of winscp plugin (it just freezes)
That's nothing about WinSCP plugin. Just that you can start plink console terminal from FAR window. Or maybe you can replace putty with plink in WinSCP configuration so that plugin's Open in PuTTY command starts plink.
_________________
Martin Prikryl

Reply with quote

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum