Beta 4.1.0 not rembering window maxization

Advertisement

Darkk

Beta 4.1.0 not rembering window maxization

Beta 4.1.0 has an odd behavior when opening.

It will open at a window size of smaller than maximized. On my 1600x1200 screen, this is about half size (though it appears to think it is maximized.) If I click the windowed button at the upper right, it gets even smaller, and knows it's in womdowed mode and not maximized. When I click the maximize button to maximize it, this time it expands to full screen.

It repeats this behavior every time the program is launched. Previous versions remembered the window state, i.e. maximized and displayed correctly at that state on a launch.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Beta 4.1.0 not rembering window maxization

Sorry, I'm not able to reproduce the problem.
Is there something unusual about your system display configuration? Like multiple monitors, etc...

Nothing at all unusual, it happens on W2k SP4, does not appear happen on XP regularly but I have seen it happen. I have seen it on at least a dozen W2K machines, all SP4 fully patched basically typical machines.

The previous version did not do this, it remembered the mazimation setting always. On the Beta, it comes up about half size, then I select windowed mode whereupon it gets even smaller, then select maximize whereupon it actually maximizes. But it won't remember this maximized setting.

It happens on ATI, and nVIDIA video hardware, a variety of video board models and feature sets, desktops running Intel motherboards, ThinkPad laptops, and one Dell laptop. All are single monitors, W2K SP4, most are 1600x1200 resolution, but I see it on 1280x1024 resolution, and also smaller resolution on several VirtualBox virtual machines I also tested on running W2K SP4 which also exhibit the problem (these are hosted under Linux.)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

OK, can you try to maximize 4.1 and exit. Then running previous version (that you know to work) to see if it opens maximized.
And that the vice versa (exiting old version maximized and running 4.1).
This way we would know if the problem is with saving the window state or with restoring it.

Also, can you provide me your email address, so I can send you a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? If you do not want to post the address here, you can send me an email. You will find it (if you log in) in my forum profile. Thanks.

I don't have the old version installed, I upgraded to the 4.1 beta. If you let me know how to get them both running side by side, I'll close the release version maximized and re-open the beta.

I do close the beta maximized, but it never remembers the state.

Let me know, and I'll run any tests for you :)

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

You can get old versions of WinSCP on sourceforge. Pick standalone executable (winscpXXX.exe). Just download it anywhere you like (e.g. desktop) and run it. If you are using registry as configuration storage, the two versions would share the settings.

rskunath

I opened the Beta, did the clicking to eventually get it actually maximized. Then closed it from the menu. Tested it again, still opened small, repeated the above and closed it.

I then started 4.07, and it popped open maximized right off. Just as it should have. I closed it.

After that I opened the Beta and again it opened small, requiring the minimize to smaller, and finally the maximize, when it finally actually did maximize.

Not sure if that helps?

Advertisement

markus

I opened a separate issue, which seems to be equal to this one.

I would be glad to debug this. I have one system with W2K. The email in my profile would be good, if you wish. Thank you! :-)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

markus wrote:

I opened a separate issue, which seems to be equal to this one.

I would be glad to debug this. I have one system with W2K. The email in my profile would be good, if you wish. Thank you! :-)
I have already tried to debug this, but I have found it impossible to do it remotely. I need to install W2k locally. But obviously it is too much work... :-(

markus

martin wrote:

I have already tried to debug this, but I have found it impossible to do it remotely. I need to install W2k locally. But obviously it is too much work... :-(
Sadly it's been ages since I don't program under Windows, so I could not debug this either.

Still, maybe there's a possibility using DebugView so I could run a version of WinSCP using OutputDebugString in certain places and capture some information for you to review?

Edited: comparing the sources from 4.0.7 and 4.1.8, it seems that there's code related to WindowState that has been changed in StoreForm() and RestoreForm() both in Tools.cpp. Maybe there is something that could be traced there?

Anyway, I'm happily using WinSCP 4.0.7 for now.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I have tried to send debug version to several users already. So I know what change in code causes the problem. However the change fixes more serious bug. Simply W2k behaves differently than later versions of Windows, but I was not able to find out why.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum