problem with winscp.ini

Advertisement

Marc73

problem with winscp.ini

hello.

I use WinSCP.INI to hold my preferences and log-in information.

I am absolutely sure of that.

Before installing windows7, I backed up my winSCP.ini

now after installing windows 7RC, I double checked that I did once again choose the non-default option of storage in winscp.ini.

I replace the winscp.ini with my backed up winscp.ini, but none of my log-in information or sites are there !

I opened the winscp.ini with a text editor, and I can see all of my information correctly there. so the file itself is fine. but the winscp isn't reading it.

any help any one ?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: problem with winscp.ini

Do you have write access to the WinSCP installation folder?

If you have: When you go to preferences, is INI file or registry selected? If registry, select INI file, close WinSCP, run it again and check what is selected now. If INI file is selected, search your drive for winscp.ini (other than yours). Let me know if you find anything.

Marc73

thank you Prik.

I tried everything I could in the permissions of the folder and its files..... nothing helped.

by accident I right clicked the winscp shortcut and chose Run as administrator...... and it reads winscp.ini correctly!!!!

I hope this takes you closer to a solution.

(I definitely have an administrator account on my pc.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

OK, so Windows 7 probably runs application by default in restricted mode, where you do not have write access to "c:\program files".

qwavel

I'm having a related problem.

One solution would be to always run WinSCP as admin, but I think it would be better to get WinSCP to store my ini file in one of the %appdata% folders (I notice that WinSCP stores its .rnd file there already). It would be nice if this were an option in the preference/storage dialog.

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum