VBA/Shell script not working for large files

Advertisement

ragordy

VBA/Shell script not working for large files

I have written the following function in MS Access/VBA (thanks to this site) and it works fine with every file I send except for a file nearly 1GB in size:
Public Sub WinSCP_Send(strFile As String, strLogin As String, strLocalDirectory As String, strRemoteDirectory As String)
'send file using WinSCP, deletes remote instance (if any) file before saving

Dim strWinSCPPath As String
Dim strShell As String, strDate As String

strWinSCPPath = "C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe"

If Dir(strWinSCPPath) = "" Then
        strWinSCPPath = "C:\Program Files\WinSCP3\WinSCP3.exe"
            If Dir(strWinSCPPath) = "" Then
                MsgBox "Please verify that WinSCP is at C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe (or, C:\Program Files\WinSCP3\WinSCP3.exe) and try again.", vbCritical, "Error: WinSCP.exe Not Available"
                Exit Sub
            End If
    End If

strShell = Chr(34) & strWinSCPPath & Chr(34) & " " & strLogin & " /command ""rm " & strRemoteDirectory & strFile & """ ""exit"""
    Shell strShell

strShell = Chr(34) & strWinSCPPath & Chr(34) & " " & strLogin & " /command ""put " & strLocalDirectory & strFile & " " & strRemoteDirectory & """ ""exit"""
    Shell strShell

End Sub

The shell script follows:
"C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" user:password@server /command "put C:\Test.csv /path/" "exit"

The file is being sent to a UNIX server from a Windows desktop. I am basing this script on the Scripts page item for sending a single file. I do not understand why it seems to work for every file but the large one. I would assume the process would hang for 60 seconds or so while the transfer executes, but it only hangs for a second.

Is something wrong with my script?

Do I need to add a pause somewhere?

Preferably, I want the process to be seamless to the user, but, if I cannot get this to work she will have to use the WinSCP GUI to send this large file. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Using WinSCP 4.1.8.

TIA,
Gordy.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: VBA/Shell script not working for large files

Please post a full log file showing the problem.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. For posting extensive logs you may use pastebin or similar application. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

Otherwise your script is not good one. It does not enable batch mode, when would make your script hang in case of any error. See the examples and general documentation of the scripting:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/scripting

ragordy

I enabled logging, but it doesn't appear to show anything. Should it be logging activities that occur outside of the GUI?

> 2009-04-10 06:48:57.051 Type: SSH_FXP_OPENDIR, Size: 20, Number: 1291
< 2009-04-10 06:48:57.051 Type: SSH_FXP_STATUS, Size: 24, Number: 1028
. 2009-04-10 06:48:57.051 Discarding reserved response
< 2009-04-10 06:48:57.102 Type: SSH_FXP_HANDLE, Size: 13, Number: 1291
> 2009-04-10 06:48:57.112 Type: SSH_FXP_READDIR, Size: 13, Number: 1548
< 2009-04-10 06:48:57.689 Type: SSH_FXP_NAME, Size: 9067, Number: 1548
> 2009-04-10 06:48:57.689 Type: SSH_FXP_READDIR, Size: 13, Number: 1804
< 2009-04-10 06:48:57.750 Type: SSH_FXP_STATUS, Size: 28, Number: 1804
< 2009-04-10 06:48:57.750 Status/error code: 1
> 2009-04-10 06:48:57.750 Type: SSH_FXP_CLOSE, Size: 13, Number: 2052

ragordy

I got the log working, and the problem is with the file path...it has a space. I'll fix this and hopefully it'll solve my problem. I also edited my script as follows:
C:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe /console /command "option batch on" "open user:password@server" "put C:\File.txt /serverpath/" "exit"
Thanks for the tips.

ragordy

Yep, removing the space seems to have fixed it. Strangely, double-quoting the string in VBA had no effect in WinSCP, so I have asked the client to rename the parent folder to remove the space. Thanks again.

Advertisement

shashi.singh

Hi Guys,

I have a SFTP server that I connect to using id and password through WINSCP. I am trying to write a VBA script that could allow me to connect and download the latest file posted on the location.

Please can you help me with this.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum