Help with Winscp - Could not retrieve directory listing

Advertisement

nmcl

Help with Winscp - Could not retrieve directory listing

Hi

Using WINscp to try and connect externally, through a firewall to an IIS7 box using FTP SSL.

When I try and connect (I specify FTP SSL/TLS on the login) I get a Could not retrieve directory listing and Server cannot accept argument error. It seems to connect and authenticate okay.

WINScp is connecting through the external interface on the firewall. The firewall rules are; one going to the IIS box and one coming from the IIS box. The rules have FTPS and also a port that I created, enabled. This matches the port range on IIS (41995-65535)and is FTP-PASV.

What am I missing? Strangely the set-up works on Filezilla but the client uses winscp.

I have the log file generated but can't figure out how to upload it here. The main entries are:

Port xxx.xxx.x.x port
501 server cannot accept argument
Could not retrieve directory listing
Got reply 4 to the command 2
(ECommand Error listing directory '/'
Could not retrieve directory listing
Server cannot accept argument
Startup conversation with host finished

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Help with Winscp - Could not retrieve directory listing

Try to compare log files from FileZilla and WinSCP. If you cannot tell a difference, please post them here.

Filezilla has an option to 'use the servers external ip address instead' under the settings for PASV. Winscp doesnt have this option - therefore if the ftp server replies to the PASV command using its internal ip address the client will try to open a data channel with the servers internal IP instead of its external IP. I'm having the same problem!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Filezilla has an option to 'use the servers external ip address instead' under the settings for PASV. Winscp doesnt have this option - therefore if the ftp server replies to the PASV command using its internal ip address the client will try to open a data channel with the servers internal IP instead of its external IP. I'm having the same problem!
This request is being tracked already. Actually it is implemented already. I'm just looking for someone to test it for me.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a development version of WinSCP for testing? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum