automatic sftp to cygwin but key not accepted

Advertisement

clasha

Hi, I have setup cygwin and am able to connect via WinScp using u/n and p/w. I saved the key when it prompted me the first time. I wanted to automate this login using a public key. I tried copying the key from /.ssh folder over to the client Windows PC and try to generate a key that WinSCP can recognize. I point it to the converted key and when I try to connect, cygwin refuses the key. u/n and p/w still works for manual connection.

Thoughts?
Thanks

Advertisement

clasha

Hi, I have looked through documentation but not sure what I am missing. Once a public key is generated on the server, I should only have to copy that onto the client and tell it to use that public key when connecting so it don't prompt for password?? WinSCP did not see the key in its default format as generated by cygwin so I had to use the tools to convert it to a recognized file format. What am I missing? I am new to this so please bare with me.

Thanks

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: automatic sftp to cygwin but key not accepted

clasha wrote:

Hi, I have looked through documentation but not sure what I am missing. Once a public key is generated on the server, I should only have to copy that onto the client and tell it to use that public key when connecting so it don't prompt for password?? WinSCP did not see the key in its default format as generated by cygwin so I had to use the tools to convert it to a recognized file format. What am I missing? I am new to this so please bare with me.
Please post a full log file showing the problem.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. For posting extensive logs you may use pastebin or similar application. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum