Transfer Log

Advertisement

stefan_s

Transfer Log

additional to the log-file (XML or normal file) a simple transfer log-file would be very useful.
This appending file should only log a short info for each performed action.
Especially for automated repeated "synchronize remote" batch commands the total list of all transferred files would be useful.

The other log-file is more useful for debugging connection problems, and the XML cannot append.
A simple CSV-file format would be the best:
date,time,action,src-file,dest-file
e.g.
16.09.2009,15:18:00,copy,C:\Temp\test.txt,/home/test/test.txt
16.09.2009,15:20:00,update,C:\Temp\test.txt,/home/test/test.txt
16.09.2009,15:22:00,delete,-,/home/test/test.txt

best regards
Stefan

Advertisement

stefan_s

Re: Transfer Log

if the synchronize batch is called each hour, you will have soon many XML files.
Also I transfer the previous logfile, that is copied by the caller program before Winscp is called, also to the remote destination.

But perhaps its easy possible to insert all sessions in one XML file. So append mode with a XML file is again possible. But this is not simple file appending, because the new entries must be "inserted" before the closing tag of the XML.

Also when using the XML log as transfer log, additional the "normal" logfile would be helpful for debugging connection problems.
But I have seen the 2 separated log files is already another Feature Request.

best regards and thank you for the great tool
Stefan

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

stefan_s wrote:

if the synchronize batch is called each hour, you will have soon many XML files.
Why is this worse then having one huge log file?

stefan_s

if for each transfer a different filename is created, probably with date&time in filename to be unique, all these files have to be examined if you search a specific file to see when it was transferred.

I use the program to allow various users to upload data to the server.
These users have often no computer experience. So its already very hard to instruct them to send the logfile via Email on any problems. To search one file within thousands will be impossible ;-)

So for my application I have the following requirements:
- have one file, logging shortly when which file was transferred, deleted, etc.
- have another file for debugging any connection problems.

best regards
Stefan

Advertisement

jp123

I think the simple logging tool would be really useful as a management tool. I am definitely interested in seeing this feature integrated.

Someguy

I am also looking for a less verbose logging method.
Also, it is not really manageable to create a separate .xml log if you transfer every minute (or more often) for example.

Perhaps add a maximal log size setting, where the oldest lines are cycled/removed when size has been reached?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Someguy wrote:

I am also looking for a less verbose logging method.
Also, it is not really manageable to create a separate .xml log if you transfer every minute (or more often) for example.

Perhaps add a maximal log size setting, where the oldest lines are cycled/removed when size has been reached?
Sorry, but I would like to avoid adding yet another logging format. You can process the resulting XML, store the information you are interested in into a any format you like and delete the XML.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum