"Copying files from remote side failed." randomly halting

Advertisement

turnkit
Donor

"Copying files from remote side failed." randomly halting

I am seemingly randomly getting,
"Copying files from remote side failed.
Connection closed; transfer aborted."

Sometimes (usually overnight) I can get a whole 8gb file okay but other times (days later) I am getting this error every five minutes or so. Whenever I click 'retry' the progress indicator goes from "Error" back to a percentage and the program happily goes on its way. If I use Filezilla when I am having these problems it works just fine. Unfortunately Filezilla is about twice as slow in transferring. -! Really. WinSCP is just that much faster. Unfortunately WinSCP isn't reliable right now. What can I do???
---
1) WinSCP version 4.1.9 (Build 416)
2) I believe this problem existed in the last couple versions of WinSCP too -- i.e. it's not a new problem.
3) I am running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, Intel Pentium D 3Ghz, 2GB RAM.
4) FTP (insecure) (non-passive mode - i.e. the 'Passive mode' box is NOT checked)
5) using GUI interface, Commander style
6) after having problems I have tried to closed all other applications and as many background tasks and services that I understand, but still see the same problems.
7) the server is unknown
-) Unfortunately when I try to turn on logging WinSCP stops responding -- which is a problem by itself. I look at the task manager and the process isn't using any cpu at the point it stops responding. I've tried changing where the log file gets written to but the app still hangs.

If some service on the server is crashing it comes back pretty fast since I can just watch WinSCP and hit "retry" as soon as it stops and it will start right up instantly.

** Could you maybe offer a "fix" so that after this error, WinSCP could just automatically "retry" for me so I don't need to watch the program constantly?

This program is the fastest! Hope someday some tsunami-udp type speed protocols can be added also.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: "Copying files from remote side failed." randomly halting

So what you are saying is that WinSCP does not auto-reconnect, even if it is configured so? Can you try that with 4.2.3 beta? If that does not help, please post a log file.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. For posting extensive logs you may use pastebin or similar application. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

turnkit
Donor

Re: "Copying files from remote side failed." randomly halting

Yes, and sort of "no". I mean "yes" it does not auto-reconnect even though it is configured. But often times I will get two error dialog windows on the screen at the same time when I come back to the desk. One is the "error" I described, which I didn't think a "reconnect" would work with. The other is something about being logged off for inactivity, even though I do have it set to persistently stay connected. What's weird is that if I get the second error -- the logged out error -- the file transfer is often still happily transferring. It keeps transferring unless I acknowledge the error and hit "ok" and then it will disconnect. "Reconnect" also works. But the "error" dialog is separate -- it's just the transfer that is failing.

--

I can try to turn on logging right before I start a transfer but every time I've tried logging the whole app becomes non-responsive ("not responding").

BTW -- I tried the same download at the same time (on the same network) from another machine and didn't see the problem for the time I was trying it. I am suspicious the problem is related to the fact that I am forced to run the problematic station via 802.11g wifi. I think it might be related to the problem despite the fact I get great speeds when it works.

martin wrote:

So what you are saying is that WinSCP does not auto-reconnect, even if it is configured so? Can you try that with 4.2.3 beta? If that does not help, please post a log file.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum