Cannot start WinSCP application

Advertisement

vallexa2

Cannot start WinSCP application

I have the Winscp ver4.2.3 build 494 application and Windows XP Professional ver 2002 with SP2. When i try to start winscp.com (c:\winscp.com or c:\winscp or c:\winscp.com open or c:\winscp.com /script=syncftp.txt) from the command line on the screen the message "Cannot start WinScp application" is shown always. I need help (Excuse for my English).

Advertisement

Kintar

Cannot Start WinSCP Application

Yeah, I had this problem, too. I don't know if it's in the documentation somewhere and I just missed it, but I finally realized that the WinSCP.exe file has to be in the same directory as WinSCP.com.

mmerlone

yes, but...

.. I was using 4.1.9 just fine without this error, this started occuring when upgraded for latest beta 4.2.4 (build 610). That beta was installed with the checkbox to make a full upgrade using previous versions, so something went wrong with the installer.

mmerlone

Re: yes, but...

mmerlone wrote:

.. I was using 4.1.9 just fine without this error, this started occuring when upgraded for latest beta 4.2.4 (build 610). That beta was installed with the checkbox to make a full upgrade using previous versions, so something went wrong with the installer.

Oops... on "...upgrade using previous versions..." please read "...upgrade using previous options...". Sorry.

And yes, I have both winscp.xe and winscp.com on same folder, and still dont work.

Advertisement

apurva

Can we have hyperlink to the article that says how this problem can be solved rather than the overal documentation

I don't plan to read the complete documentation of winscp at every minor release of it.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

mmerlone wrote:

And yes, I have both winscp.xe and winscp.com on same folder, and still dont work.
Can you run the winscp.exe?
What path are the file in?
what is you version of Windows?

mmerlone

martin wrote:

mmerlone wrote:

Can you run the winscp.exe?
What path are the file in?
what is you version of Windows?
Yes.
The non-beta were installed by next-next-finish mostly using defaults, checked to register on %PATH% (verified ok) and to handle sftp:// and scp:// addresses. Upgraded to beta doing a full upgrade (recommended), and both executables are on C:\Program Files\WinSCP.
It is a Windows 2008 Server Standard SP2 (not R2).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

mmerlone wrote:

The non-beta were installed by next-next-finish mostly using defaults, checked to register on %PATH% (verified ok) and to handle sftp:// and scp:// addresses. Upgraded to beta doing a full upgrade (recommended), and both executables are on C:\Program Files\WinSCP.
I've sent you an email with debug version.

Advertisement

mmerlone

martin wrote:

mmerlone wrote:

I've sent you an email with debug version.

I've downloaded, extracted and overwrited the one installed on my server. That one works without a problem.
To shed some light on what I am doing, this is a MS-Sql server and I have to copy its dumps to a linux box where I have a tape driver to backup. On the MS-server, I have those scripts, which will be scheduled to run from the sql engine:

scp10.cmd:
f:
cd f:\mssql\
winscp.com /script=scp10.script
rem pause

scp10.script:
option batch on
option confirm off
open user@server.domain.tld
put F:\mssql\DBTeste_1000.bak
put F:\mssql\DBProducao_1000.bak
put F:\mssql\DBHomologacao_1000.bak
exit

CXT

We are having a similar issue.

I installed Winscp 4.2.5 fresh on a Windows 2008 R2 it will not run from the command line. I continue to get the "Cannot start the winscp application". I have tried removing and re-installing, but no luck at this point.

Advertisement

Holly Glaser

WINSCP.COM does not open from windows 7 workaround

Hello,

Winscp script error version 4.2.5.build 624
Problems
1. Windows cmd window does not recognize winscp
ex. C:> winscp.exe

'Winscp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

2. Winscp console does not open scripts using > winscp.exe /console /script= myscript.txt
>Unknown command 'winscp.exe'

Workaround:
This is not acceptable for end users
1. open install folder
2. double click on winscp.com to open console
3. type in each command manually

iam able to connect using the stored session and upload files etc, How can I run this as a scripot?
TIA 8) >

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: We are having a similar issue.

CXT wrote:

I installed Winscp 4.2.5 fresh on a Windows 2008 R2 it will not run from the command line. I continue to get the "Cannot start the winscp application". I have tried removing and re-installing, but no luck at this point.
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: same issue, trouble with command line

comj wrote:

If you launch a command prompt in Windows XP and enter "winscp.com" and hit enter you get "Cannot start WinSCP appliaction". No problem with exe, but it appears exe can't script like the com can.
You need to have winscp.exe in the same directory as winscp.com.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WINSCP.COM does not open from windows 7 workaround

Holly Glaser wrote:

Well, I support you do not have winscp.exe in the PATH.

2. Winscp console does not open scripts using > winscp.exe /console /script= myscript.txt
Why do you suppose this should work?
You need to run that command from Windows command line, not from WinSCP console.

Advertisement

Holly Glaser

Re: WINSCP.COM does not open from windows 7 workaround

Hello and thanks for the reply.
This is my first winscp script, and I am confused although I've been reading the docs.

I added winscp to the path(below)and it fixed my problem. As usual, there is now a different error and I am TIA for your advice.

from the windows cmd
C:\>winscp.exe This works to start the GUI

However,this does not open the winscp console
C:\>winscp.com
Cannot start WinSCP application.

My questions-
Can I start a script from the winscp console? Or is it only for writing scripts and manual commands?

Can I run a winscp script from the GUI?
This would be best for the user.

The revised Path:
%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\QuantumGIS\apps\gdal-16\bin;C:\QuantumGIS\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\JavaFX\javafx-sdk1.2\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\JavaFX\javafx-sdk1.2\emulator\bin;C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\QBPOSSDKRuntime;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\DLLShared\;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\QuantumGIS\apps\msys\bin;C:\QuantumGIS\apps\grass\grass-6.4.0svn\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP

Holly

martin wrote:

Holly Glaser wrote:

Well, I support you do not have winscp.exe in the PATH.

Why do you suppose this should work?
You need to run that command from Windows command line, not from WinSCP console.

DeadMoneyDan

Workaround

I am getting this error as well. Just upgraded to 4.2.5 from 4.1.9 because my Windows 2008 servers were only intermittantly connecting to ftp sites. The sftp sites worked fine. The upgrade fixed this issue.

However when executing from the command line, I got the dreaded "Cannot start WinScp application" message. I worked around it using the following command before attempting to start WinSCP:

cd /d C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP

...even though C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP is in the path.

Mr. Prikryl, I have to disagree with you. This has nothing to do with Documentation. I is a bug. :evil:

DeadMoneyDan

Workaround - Stranger, yet more effective

Changing the directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP to run WinSCP.com works, yes, but breaks a lot of scripts.

I reverted to the 4.1.9 version of the com. It seems to work fine with the 4.2.5 exe and solves my problems. :idea:

Holly Glaser

Re: Workaround - Stranger, yet more effective

Continuing to work on this problem
1. My 4.2.5 is installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP also.
2. On startup, there is an error message cannot find winscp/ocsetu~

Here is something strange--
Attempt to open a winscp script from windows cmd
C:\>winscp.exe /console /script="winscp_open_stored_session.txt"

The result is that a black window appears briefly and then goes away. probably the winscp.com window.

Hmmmmmmm. ideas?
Holly 8)

DeadMoneyDan wrote:

Changing the directory to C:\Program Files (x86)\WinSCP to run WinSCP.com works, yes, but breaks a lot of scripts.

I reverted to the 4.1.9 version of the com. It seems to work fine with the 4.2.5 exe and solves my problems. :idea:

Advertisement

DeadMoneyDan

Holly,

Try using WinSCP.com not the .exe from the command line. If WinSCP won't start, refer to my last two posts.

comj

Re: same issue, trouble with command line

martin wrote:

You need to have winscp.exe in the same directory as winscp.com.

I'm using the default install and therefore I have both exe and com in same directory.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

DeadMoneyDan wrote:

OK, so if you use 4.2.5 exe and com, it does not work. But if you use 4.1.9 com and 4.2.5 exe in a same way it does work. Right? This is possibly related to 64-bit OS as I haven't seen the problem before.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

comj

I'm running this on 32-bit Windows XP and I'm experiencing the same issue as Holly....

Advertisement

Jivey

Winscp.com and winscp.exe

Upgraded to version 4.2.5.624
Can not find "Cannot start WinSCP application."

I have c:\program files\winscp\ in my path which has both winscp.com and winscp.exe

If I call winscp.com directly c:\program files\winscp\winscp.com it works :)
If I call winscp.com from c:\ I get the error :(
If I call winscp.com from c:\ and copy winscp.exe to the root of c:\ it works :)

The issue is that when calling winscp.com it find it in the path, but only looks at the current directory for winscp.exe.

Suggestion - I do not have a fix, but if the developers used a unique environmental variable to point to winscp.exe that could fix the path issue.

danh

Jivey is a good troubleshooter

Same issue here, and it appears Jivey is right. It appears WinSCP.com only looks in its current directory for WinSCP.exe; it does not appear to search the PATH if WinSCP.exe isn't found.

I am a fresh evaluation install of 4.2.5 (Build 624)

The workaround is always specifying the path in the command. Either of these should work.

C:\Program Files\WinSCP\>WinSCP
or
C:\>"c:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.com"

phried319

Re: Jivey is a good troubleshooter

danh wrote:

Same issue here, and it appears Jivey is right. It appears WinSCP.com only looks in its current directory for WinSCP.exe; it does not appear to search the PATH if WinSCP.exe isn't found.

I am a fresh evaluation install of 4.2.5 (Build 624)

The workaround is always specifying the path in the command. Either of these should work.

C:\Program Files\WinSCP\>WinSCP
or
C:\>"c:\Program Files\WinSCP\WinSCP.com"
That worked straight up cash money for me. THANKS!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Cannot start WinSCP application

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem using any of the scenarios described here. So really need someone to help me with debugging. Otherwise I hardly fix this.

Can anyone (everyone) send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

Advertisement

tdalsimer@...

I also need the debug version of winscp as I am having the same problem

martin wrote:

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem using any of the scenarios described here. So really need someone to help me with debugging. Otherwise I hardly fix this.

Can anyone (everyone) send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

I had this problem and I copied winscp.exe into the same directory that I was running my batch file from and now winscp.com works. Odd.

tdalsimer@gmail.com wrote:

I also need the debug version of winscp as I am having the same problem

martin wrote:

dangdude

note FIXED in 4.2.6

just a note:
This is FIXED in 4.2.6, Feb 2010 -- see history for 4.2.6, Tracker Bug 542.

Thanks!!!

T_T

!

control panel>system>advanced system settings>environment variables>

under system variables>path - edit: add ";C:\Program Files\WinSCP"

Advertisement

mcc99

vallexa2 wrote:

I have the Winscp ver4.2.3 build 494 application and Windows XP Professional ver 2002 with SP2. When i try to start winscp.com (c:\winscp.com or c:\winscp or c:\winscp.com open or c:\winscp.com /script=syncftp.txt) from the command line on the screen the message "Cannot start WinScp application" is shown always. I need help (Excuse for my English).

Old thread, but prob persists in current ver of WinSCP, 5.9.5, build 7441. Seems WinSCP.com is not the go-to launcher anymore but rather WinSCP.exe itself. (My OS: Windows 10 ver 1703). The following works like a charm for me:

cd C:\path\dest_dir
"C:\path\WinSCP\WinSCP.exe" /script=C:\path\script.txt

script.txt looks like this:
------
option echo off
option batch on
option confirm off
open ftp://userid:password@www.mysite.com
cd /
option transfer binary
mget filename*.*
rm filename*.*
close
exit
------

Easy-peasey. Logs into the site, cds to /, retrieves indicated file(s) into C:\path\dest_dir, delets the remote files retrieved from the site, then closes the connection and exits WinSCP.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

So, if you instead do this:

"C:\path\WinSCP\WinSCP.com" /script=C:\path\script.txt

Do you get "Cannot start WinSCP application"?

Abdullah_ARSLAN

I have also the same problem.
I put winscp.exe and winscp.com into system32 folder.

When I open cmd and just execute "winscp.com /script=C:\TOOLS\WinSCP-5.9.6-Portable\testscript.txt"
I get error "Cannot start WinSCP application"

When I run "C:\PathToWinscp\winscp.com /script=C:\TOOLS\WinSCP-5.9.6-Portable\testscript.txt"
it works.

So, I cant run it witouth path? It is in the path.??

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Why do you put WinSCP to system32 in the first place? That does not sound like a good idea.
Anyway, assuming your system in 64-bit, you would have to use a hidden folder sysnative instead, as WinSCP is 32-bit application.
Bud do not do that!

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum