Cancel button on Stored Session Edit Dialog

Advertisement

cmoschini

Cancel button on Stored Session Edit Dialog

When you pick a Stored Session and click Edit, it's very odd that clicking the "Close" button at bottom-right closes the entire WinSCP app, and not just this Edit window.

It would be nice if the "Close" button was changed to "Cancel," and doing so discards any changes you've made in the dialog, and brings you back to the main WinSCP interface where you can pick another Stored Session.

For example if I'm copying the hostname of a Stored Session and press Ctrl+V by accident instead of Ctrl+C, I'm now left with one of 3 options:

Login (not what I want)
Save (definitely not what I want)
Close - which exits the app

None of these are where I wanted to go. There are many other mistakes I could make in the interface to carefully edited and entered settings that I might want to cancel out of to avoid screwing things up.

Since I can already Close the app from the X at top-right, change Close to Cancel and have it discard your info and return to the main interface.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Cancel button on Stored Session Edit Dialog

cmoschini wrote:

When you pick a Stored Session and click Edit, it's very odd that clicking the "Close" button at bottom-right closes the entire WinSCP app, and not just this Edit window.
There's no Edit window. You are still in the same window after clicking Edit.

For example if I'm copying the hostname of a Stored Session and press Ctrl+V by accident instead of Ctrl+C, I'm now left with one of 3 options:

Login (not what I want)
Save (definitely not what I want)
Close - which exits the app

None of these are where I wanted to go. There are many other mistakes I could make in the interface to carefully edited and entered settings that I might want to cancel out of to avoid screwing things up.
Go back to Stored sessions tabs and click Edit again to reload the same stored session.

cmoschini

What's confusing about that is the fact that the left tree has a bunch of settings you can choose from - then you choose one - tree stays the same. You click Edit, now the tree at the left changes to reflect only what the edited Session supports - EXCEPT - the tree also contains that Stored Sessions item, which as you point out gets you out to another session.

What happened to all those other settings? If I changed them before editing one, was I editing the defaults? How do I get back to that list of Settings without exiting the program? It would be nice if once you edit, you had a Cancel button instead of Close to get back to the interface the way it was when you opened the app. The Close button is redundant anyway - does it have any purpose beyond what the standard close button at the top-right already does?

I think putting the Stored Sessions in the same tree as the settings for that individual Session creates UI confusion. It really needs to be separated out from the rest of the tree - especially from the Logging item, since the Logging item affects just the edited item, while the Stored Sessions item affects nothing about this item.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

The login dialog appears, the defaults are loaded. List of available tabs corresponds to them. If you load stored session, again list of available tabs corresponds to the session. To go back to the defaults, use "New" button on the stored session tab.

The Close button is redundant anyway - does it have any purpose beyond what the standard close button at the top-right already does?
Any dialog box has a button to cancel/close it. That is convention.

cmoschini

martin wrote:

The Close button is redundant anyway - does it have any purpose beyond what the standard close button at the top-right already does?
Any dialog box has a button to cancel/close it. That is convention.

Yes - convention, exactly. Close is rare, and only is convention when the dialog does nothing but present some buttons. When changes could be made in a pane, the button is Cancel. Which is what the button really should be in WinSCP.

I want to be clear, I really like WinSCP. It would just be nice to fix a couple minor UI issues - "papercuts" as they're called in the on-going Ubuntu usability project.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum