WinSCP.exe size 5 times greater than before??

Advertisement

rarnold
Donor

WinSCP.exe size 5 times greater than before??

Hi,

why is the file size of winSCP.exe since 4.2.6 5 times greater than 4.2.5 ??
Another compiler? Kind regards - Ronald

Reply with quote E-mail

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP.exe size 5 times greater than before??

Portable .exe until 4.2.5 was compressed (using UPX). In 4.2.6 this was removed and the .exe in the "portable executables" archive is the same one as in the "installation package" (which was never compressed).

rarnold
Donor

Re: WinSCP.exe size 5 times greater than before??

martin wrote:

Portable .exe until 4.2.5 was compressed (using UPX). In 4.2.6 this was removed and the .exe in the "portable executables" archive is the same one as in the "installation package" (which was never compressed).

Who are capable of reading your fine version history has a significant
advantage - Sorry for my dumb question. Next time I will read this
before I bother you with my request ;-)

ZIP archive with both executables is released instead of just compressed EXE. 523

Best regards and thank you for your reply - Ronald

Reply with quote E-mail

Rhialto
Donor

Just saw the update and after download finished I was suprised to see a .zip where usually it's a .exe so I open the .zip and was suprised to see that large .exe so i thought I may have downloaded the wrong package so I download again carfully selecting the portable one and same thing. So finally I landed here looking for an answer...

Why no more compressed? I liked it. Not that space is missing but you know... I think 'portable' need to be different.

Ricardo
Donor
Ricardo avatar

Uncompressed is less prone to errors, don't use cpu to uncompress prior execution, and the size difference is insignificant nowadays.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ricardo wrote:

Uncompressed is less prone to errors, don't use cpu to uncompress prior execution, and the size difference is insignificant nowadays.
Exactly. The original reason for compressions was to fit the .exe onto 1.44 floppy disk. 4.2.x does not fit anyway.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum