Can't connect. Directroy "D:" does not exist??

Advertisement

Hi.

Recently I can't connect to my Linux box anymore.
Connect, Authenticating...everything works fine, but after "Reading remote dirctory..." I just get "Directory 'D:' doesn't exist."?

What could this mean?? I'm connecting form my school to a Linux host - no wonder that it can't find 'D:' ;)

I just have dnl'ed the exe, copied it to my 'tools' foulder. Worked fine, until my school switchedfrom a Win2k to an Win. XP. Installed it again, with and without the installer, but nothing worked. I even tried to copy it to the root directory of 'D:' but again nothing changed. Connect with Putty works fine tought...

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,
-pfu

Advertisement

Re: Can't connect. Directroy "D:" does not exist??

martin wrote:

Please post a log file.

Sorry, I'm don't have access to my school account now, because I'm not in school now the network's down at the moment :(

Bu as soon as I'll get access, I'll try to enable logging. I overlooked ta loogin option but found it now and I'll try that asap. I hope that will provide me some usefull information about that strange problem.

But thanks anyway. I'll that, and if I have no success, I'll post again.

Thanks for now.
-pfu

PS: Keep up the good work! WinSCP is awesome!

Hi same problem here. Can't find the logfile though. So i wondered what it meant. I thought it was because my win2000 has no D as HD, but an I as HD (D is the romdrive) My friends computer in the same network and with the same OS it workes fine. So i really dont have a clue what it means that D doen't exist and how to fix it. :?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Hi same problem here. Can't find the logfile though. So i wondered what it meant. I thought it was because my win2000 has no D as HD, but an I as HD (D is the romdrive) My friends computer in the same network and with the same OS it workes fine. So i really dont have a clue what it means that D doen't exist and how to fix it. :?
What is romdrive? You mean CD-rom drive? Does it help when you insert the CD-rom?

Advertisement

What is romdrive? You mean CD-rom drive? Does it help when you insert the CD-rom?
Thanx for reading my post!
No that doesn't help. I wondered where a direction to 'D' is given, maybe i need to replace that?

Hello!
I've got the same problem: Directory 'D:' doesn't exist./
I don't have the C: drive, and D: is the CD-ROM drive. Inserting a CD helps, and the Norton Comander view then shows D: on the left panel. Setting "Default directory is the home directory" checkbox doesn't alter the behaviour. Changing the CD-ROM drive letter to G: helps permanently, as the next letter E: is the hard drive that is always present.

Here is the log file:

. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
. WinSCP Version 3.4.2 (Build 197)
. Login time: 14 Январь 2004 г. 1:15:00
. Session name: Office
. Host name: xxxxxxxxxxxx (Port: xxxxx)
. User name: anton (Password: No, Key file: No)
. Transfer Protocol: SFTP (SCP)
. SSH protocol version: 2; Compression: No
. Agent forwarding: No; TIS/CryptoCard: No; KI: Yes
. Ciphers: 3des,aes,blowfish,WARN,des; Ssh2DES: No
. Ping interval: 0 sec (0 = off); Timeout: 15 sec
. SSH Bugs: -,-,-,-,-,-,-,-,
. Proxy: none
. Return code variable: Autodetect; Lookup user groups: Yes
. Shell: default, EOL: 0
. Local directory: default, Remote directory: home, Update: No, Cache: Yes
. Clear aliases: Yes, Unset nat.vars: Yes, Resolve symlinks: Yes
. Alias LS: No, Ign LS warn: Yes, Scp1 Comp: No
. Looking up host "xxxxxxxxxxxx"
. Connecting to xxxxxxxxxxxx port xxxxx
. Server version: SSH-2.0-3.1.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)
. We claim version: SSH-2.0-WinSCP-release-3.4.2.197
. Using SSH protocol version 2
. Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
. Host key fingerprint is:
. ssh-dss 1024 ff:80:e1:2e:4a:61:d0:90:5a:ec:d9:29:cb:73:08:95
. Initialised triple-DES client->server encryption
. Initialised triple-DES server->client encryption
! Using username "anton".
. Session password prompt (anton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx's password: )
. Asking user for password.
. Sent password
. Access granted
. Opened channel for session
. Started a shell/command
. Using SFTP protocol.
. Doing startup conversation with host.
> Type: SSH_FXP_INIT, Size: 5, Number: -1
< Type: SSH_FXP_VERSION, Size: 5, Number: -1
. SFTP version 2 negotiated.
. Getting current directory name.
. Getting real path for '.'
> Type: SSH_FXP_REALPATH, Size: 10, Number: 16
< Type: SSH_FXP_NAME, Size: 51, Number: 16
. Real path is '/usr/home/anton'
. Listing directory "/usr/home/anton".
> Type: SSH_FXP_OPENDIR, Size: 24, Number: 267
< Type: SSH_FXP_HANDLE, Size: 17, Number: 267
> Type: SSH_FXP_READDIR, Size: 17, Number: 524
< Type: SSH_FXP_NAME, Size: 8244, Number: 524
> Type: SSH_FXP_READDIR, Size: 17, Number: 780
< Type: SSH_FXP_STATUS, Size: 9, Number: 780
< Status/error code: 1
> Type: SSH_FXP_CLOSE, Size: 17, Number: 1028
< Type: SSH_FXP_STATUS, Size: 9, Number: 1028
< Status/error code: 0
. Startup conversation with host finished.
* (Exception) Directory 'D:' doesn't exist.
. Closing connection.

Thanks
-- Anton

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Thanx for reading my post!
No that doesn't help. I wondered where a direction to 'D' is given, maybe i need to replace that?
First of all check if 'explorer-like' interface works. If it does (so only NC-like interface does not), it means that WinSCP is trying to open D: in local panel on NC-like interface. WinSCP determines initial directory of local panel this way:
- first it uses 'local directory' set on environment tab of login dialog.
- if the directory does not exist or if it is not set it uses your windows document directory.
So either you have D: path set as local directory of your session or you have set D: path as your document directory (in Windows). Please verify this.

Another option is that D: is your first drive. Do you have C: ?

Also please send an EXACT message. The best is to copy the message to clipboard (Ctrl-C on dialog).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Hello!
I don't have the C: drive, and D: is the CD-ROM drive. Inserting a CD helps, and the Norton Comander view then shows D: on the left panel. Setting "Default directory is the home directory" checkbox doesn't alter the behaviour. Changing the CD-ROM drive letter to G: helps permanently, as the next letter E: is the hard drive that is always present.
Thanks for your report. Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to test this. I have C: on every PC I have and I cannot remove it as the system is there :-( Do you have any idea how I can I test this?

Advertisement

martin wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your report. Unfortunatelly I have no idea how to test this. I have C: on every PC I have and I cannot remove it as the system is there :-( Do you have any idea how I can I test this?
Probably there's no easy way. Windows XP does not allow me to change system drive's letter. I got an E: drive by an accident when installing Windows XP and can't change it to C: :-)

martin wrote:

- first it uses 'local directory' set on environment tab of login dialog.
Oh, I missed it. Here's what I've found:
Seems that this parameter has little effect on the left panel. Even if this parameter is set, on connect left panel shows drive E: when it is the first registered drive above C: in the system. When I set D: as the (empty) CD-ROM drive, the error message appears. And only when I set the CD-ROM to be drive C:, left panel shows the specified local path (on drive E:\....).

Hope this helps.
-- Anton

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Oh, I missed it. Here's what I've found:
Seems that this parameter has little effect on the left panel. Even if this parameter is set, on connect left panel shows drive E: when it is the first registered drive above C: in the system. When I set D: as the (empty) CD-ROM drive, the error message appears. And only when I set the CD-ROM to be drive C:, left panel shows the specified local path (on drive E:\....).

Hope this helps.
-- Anton
Unfortunatelly it does not. I have no idea, what is going on. But do I understand that you are able to launch WinSCP, when you see a left panel? Or were you able to open main window all the time? Also please try version 3.5, I've made some changes to the topic.

martin wrote:

But do I understand that you are able to launch WinSCP, when you see a left panel?
Yes.

martin wrote:

Or were you able to open main window all the time?
No. The error message is fatal.

martin wrote:

Also please try version 3.5, I've made some changes to the topic.
Version 3.5 has the same problem. Here's what it looks like in details:

1. If the system has a C: drive, program starts fine, including the "local directory" parameter (even if the C: drive is a CD-ROM drive with no disk inside).

2. If the system has no C: drive:

2.a. If the first drive known to the system (D:, E:, ...) is accessible, that drive will be shown in the left panel and program will start well with no error messages. "Local directory" parameter has no effect in this case.

2.b. If the first drive known to the system (D:, E:, ...) is not accessible (for example, D: is an empty CD-ROM drive), then the error messagebox "Directory 'D:' doesn't exist." appears. After clicking the OK button program quits immediately. "Local directory" parameter has no effect in this case either.

-- Anton

Anonymous wrote:

then the error messagebox "Directory 'D:' doesn't exist." appears. After clicking the OK button program quits immediately.
In this case main window does not appear at all.
-- Anton

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

then the error messagebox "Directory 'D:' doesn't exist." appears. After clicking the OK button program quits immediately.
In this case main window does not appear at all.
-- Anton
Thanks for your information and help.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum