Very long loading time with NC interface

Advertisement

amauris

Very long loading time with NC interface

Hi,
when I start WinSCP (3.8.2 build 330) with the Norton Commander interface it takes more than a minute until the GUI is shown.
The Explorer interface needs only a second to load.
Can anyone explain this and/or help me?
I like the NC interface, so I would prefer not to change to the Explorer interface permanently.
Ciao
amauris

Advertisement

Re: Very long loading time with NC interface

amauris wrote:

Hi,
when I start WinSCP (3.8.2 build 330) with the Norton Commander interface it takes more than a minute until the GUI is shown.
The Explorer interface needs only a second to load.

I can confirm this. In fact, I just upgraded from 3.7.x to 3.8.2 to see if the problem is fixed. I had no idea that the Explorer interface might be quicker, but you are right, it is.

After I login and the SSH authentication completes, the login window and the log window disappear, and nothing happens for about a minute (WinSCP has no visible window at this time), and then the NC interface appears and works fine.

Vashek

amauris

After I login and the SSH authentication completes, the login window and the log window disappear, and nothing happens for about a minute (WinSCP has no visible window at this time), and then the NC interface appears and works fine.

Exactly that's (still) the problem...

amauris

martin wrote:

Please send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version.

I tried to send you an eMail several times (via eMail and ICQ) in the last weeks, but I didn't get an answer via ICQ and when I send a mail to the email-adress mentioned on your website the following answer returns error

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

amauris wrote:

I tried to send you an eMail several times (via eMail and ICQ) in the last weeks, but I didn't get an answer via ICQ and when I send a mail to the email-adress mentioned on your website the following answer returns error.
Sorry for delay. I have received the email, but I didn't have the time so far to prepare the debug version for you.

amauris

martin wrote:

Sorry for delay. I have received the email, but I didn't have the time so far to prepare the debug version for you.

OK, no problem then. I just thougt that you didn't received the mail.

Andres (Guest)

I can confirm the slow login with NC interface. I also think I may know the problem.

(1) When I load a sit with NC interface, the login is done but there is a 30-second delay before visualisation of the interface. This does not happen with Explorer-style. But I still want to use NC.

(2) This is not due to Miranda (there was a hint somewhere in the forums about Miranda and WinSCP slowing each other down etc.) This is also not because of the webclient service because that service is not running.

(3) From FileMon I saw that during those 30 seconds, WinSCP was repeatedly trying to load a mapped network drive which was not present at that moment. Therefore I think that the delay is due to reading the mapped network drive.

(BTW, such delays did not occur in Win98SE but they tend to occur in XP with at least WinSCP 374...382: I have not tried other versions though.)

Therefore I suggest that there should be an option to exclude mapped network drives altogether or to just read them per request (i.e. when a user wants to use a network drive in WinSCP, then the network drive is accessed by WinSCP and at other times mapped network drives are just ignored).

Andres (Guest)

Just tested the delay with WinSCP 3.56.

No delay at all, everything is loaded instantly!

(Rolling back to 3.56 until a better solution.)

Advertisement

confirmation of bug

Hi, my name is Rick Hull. I am experiencing the exact same delay, using NC interface. I *do* have mapped network drives, so I think that is the issue.

Re: seeing similar problem w/ NC interface

Hi. I'm seeing the same problem, or one very similar. I'm running 3.8.2.330 on Vista final.

I don't have any mapped drives. I do have Miranda, but the problem occurs when Miranda is not running.

Note that my install was running just fine--in NC mode--for a couple of weeks before it crapped out.

A couple of things I've noticed in my case:

- The window itself comes up pretty quickly after login, however only the local site panel and the toolbar are actually rendered. The menu and remote panel aren't rendered, and the window is considered "not responding" by the OS.

- In my case, the NC interface *never* fully comes up. At least, I've left it for more than 15 minutes and it hasn't come up.

I'll try rolling back to a prior version and see if that helps.

Sam

Advertisement

I have just confirmed that mapped drives affect the appearance of the NC window after selecting login. Removing my unavailable shared drives great improved the loading time of the second window. This is a general Windows problem. I'm using Windows XP Pro. I don't know how to correct it.

Andres

In version 4.0.3 this problem still seems to be present.

In two-pane view in 4.0.3, a site is loaded in approximately 30-45 seconds.

In 3.5.6, everything under the same conditions happens in 5-7 seconds.

From File Monitor I still see that 4.0.3 is trying to open a mapped drive. Rolling back, again, to 3.5.6. (This makes later versions pretty much unusable for me.)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Can anyone, who is having this problem, contact me on my email address?

Andres

martin wrote:

Can anyone, who is having this problem, contact me on my email address?

I have contacted Prikryl and sent the debug files and it seems to me now that he has fixed this problem (at least insofar it was caused by mapped drives) in the new debug version! Thanks a lot! I hope this fix will soon reach the official release!

Advertisement

Still a problem? (or returned?)

Unfortunately - I'm now experiencing a very simular issue in version 4.2.8 on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Any solutions?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Still a problem? (or returned?)

Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately - I'm now experiencing a very simular issue in version 4.2.8 on Windows 7 (64-bit)
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum