GUI: Drag+Drop / Window Menu / Focus-Selection

Advertisement

testor

GUI: Drag+Drop / Window Menu / Focus-Selection

Hi there,

we are using WinSCP at work, currently version 4.1.7 on WinXP SP2; GUI-version with Commander-interface.

I have only minor bugs/requests.

Reconstructable: When I drag remote files (right pane) to my local directory (left pane) there is the feature to drop it on either executable files (i.e. BAT, VBS, ZIP, CMD) or directories. As I understood, this exists to automatically perform an action with the two files (the one which is dropped, the other one which resides beneath the spot where the dragged file will be dropped). But I have no option to completely disable this behaviour. This is quite frustrating because my local directory contains lots of directories - hence I always have to scroll down until I find a spot where I can drop the dragged (remote) file to NOT let it transfer into a subdirectory. Could you implement such an option?

Reconstructable: Clicking on the window menu of WinSCP (i.e. on the item "Help") while another window has the focus switches the focus to WinSCP as expected - but the submenu does not stay open - it immediatly closes again. This is just a minor curiosity I found ;-)

Reconstructable: WinSCP is connected, the remote directory is listed, the selection and focus is on one file entry, another window has the focus (because I switched to i.e. Explorer via ALT+TAB), the mouse cursor position is outside of WinSCP: when I activate WinSCP (i.e. by ALT+TABing back to it) and then hit CTRL+R for a refresh of the remote listing and after it move the focus (i.e. by keys UP or DOWN) the selection stays with the file entry and ONLY the focus moves. Should be a minor visual bug, but sometimes ends in an Access Exception after another action (like pressing the APP-key to open up the context menu). This behavior of not moving both (focus and selection) does not occur if the mouse cursor position is within the WinSCP-window at the time it is re-activated. See the picture at <invalid link removed> (unlike most Windows configurations my highlight/focus color is not blue but red instead - so you see the selection on one file, but the focus on another).

Thanks for reading :) Keep up the good work!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: GUI: Drag+Drop / Window Menu / Focus-Selection

testor wrote:

Reconstructable: When I drag remote files (right pane) to my local directory (left pane) there is the feature to drop it on either executable files (i.e. BAT, VBS, ZIP, CMD) or directories. As I understood, this exists to automatically perform an action with the two files (the one which is dropped, the other one which resides beneath the spot where the dragged file will be dropped). But I have no option to completely disable this behaviour. This is quite frustrating because my local directory contains lots of directories - hence I always have to scroll down until I find a spot where I can drop the dragged (remote) file to NOT let it transfer into a subdirectory. Could you implement such an option?
I suppose you would benefit from turning Full row select option off.

Reconstructable: Clicking on the window menu of WinSCP (i.e. on the item "Help") while another window has the focus switches the focus to WinSCP as expected - but the submenu does not stay open - it immediatly closes again. This is just a minor curiosity I found ;-)
This bug has been added to tracker.

Reconstructable: WinSCP is connected, the remote directory is listed, the selection and focus is on one file entry, another window has the focus (because I switched to i.e. Explorer via ALT+TAB), the mouse cursor position is outside of WinSCP: when I activate WinSCP (i.e. by ALT+TABing back to it) and then hit CTRL+R for a refresh of the remote listing and after it move the focus (i.e. by keys UP or DOWN) the selection stays with the file entry and ONLY the focus moves. Should be a minor visual bug, but sometimes ends in an Access Exception after another action (like pressing the APP-key to open up the context menu). This behavior of not moving both (focus and selection) does not occur if the mouse cursor position is within the WinSCP-window at the time it is re-activated. See the picture at <invalid link removed> (unlike most Windows configurations my highlight/focus color is not blue but red instead - so you see the selection on one file, but the focus on another).
OK, so you have Explorer-style selection enabled, right?
Actually it seems that you do not have to activate another application. Reload itself (with mouse off the window) causes the bug.
This bug has been added to tracker.

testor

martin wrote:

Thanks, fits my needs :)

martin wrote:

OK, so you have Explorer-style selection enabled, right?
Right.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I have fixed the focus problem. Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a development version of WinSCP to test it? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

koyama

martin wrote:

This is +1 vote turning off "Full row select" by default. :roll:

I had been banging my head for a long time because of this. Until I found this post, I thought that was just how WinSCP worked. Many are probably having this issue without knowing about the option. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you for the great product!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

koyama wrote:

This is +1 vote turning off "Full row select" by default. :roll:

I had been banging my head for a long time because of this. Until I found this post, I thought that was just how WinSCP worked. Many are probably having this issue without knowing about the option. Just my 2 cents.
I believe that this is a default behavior for Commander style (two-panel) applications.

koyama

martin wrote:

I believe that this is a default behavior for Commander style (two-panel) applications.

I had previously been using Ipswitch WS_FTP Professional 9. Here it is not the default. I don't even think you can enable anything like "full row select" in that utility.

On the other hand I checked out FileZilla 3.2.6, where you are right there is "full row select" by default. I didn't find a way to turn it off. So they must be stuck with the same issue over there.

CuteFTP 8 Home seems to behave like WS_FTP with no "full row select" option at all.

I found a similar complaint about full row select usability issue for Nautilus file manager on Linux.
<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>

In conclusion, I think "full row select" may or may not be expected behavior. However, in any case, "full row select" does seem like a usability issue for the reasons given in this post and at the last link I posted.

Andrew.Uldin

Focus problem

so what about focus problem? when i change windows with alt+tab, both panels of winscp lose a focus and i must to CLICK with mouse in some panel to activate window and keyboard shortcuts. it's very noizy :evil: what can i do to fix that problem?

i'm using winscp 4.3.2 (build 1201), windows 7

here is video - to show you whats about the problem.

<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>

thank you!!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Focus problem

Andrew.Uldin wrote:

so what about focus problem? when i change windows with alt+tab, both panels of winscp lose a focus and i must to CLICK with mouse in some panel to activate window and keyboard shortcuts. it's very noizy :evil: what can i do to fix that problem?
I haven't seen the problem before. Is there anything special about your Windows? Any extensions, desktop addins?

Advertisement

AndrewUldin

No, unfortunately on my home pc i have same problem. And all my colleagues who use your software have that problem too. Each of us use Windows 7 and we think thats why that bug appears. I will try reproduce this bug on my home notebook where i use windows xp and i think there it will be works correctly. Do you want that? I can write report for you.

waiting for you answer! We love your program - it's greate software! If you want our help - just email me! jk-slash@yandex.ru

ps: sorry for my english :) i hope your understand what i try to say :)

Reply with quote E-mail

macman104

Hello,

I just wanted to respond to this thread that I am experiencing the issue where the alt+tab brings up the WinSCP window, but it does not actually gain focus. I do believe I am seeing this as a conflict with a program called Actual Window Manger (AWM). However, WinSCP is the only program I use that has this issue.

I am letting AWM know as well, as it is clearly a conflict between the two, as WinSCP focuses fine when AWM is not running, but it seems to be something WinSCP might be doing as well, as it is the only program I have the issue with.

Please let me know further steps to assist in helping resolve this problem. There is a new beta of AWM out that is free to use until the expiry date if that is helpful.

smokiespartakus

Hi,
I'm facing the focus problem on both my windows 7 computers and I don't have awm installed, any news on this - it's rather annoying having to click the window whenever I switch to it.

If I can be of any help - system info or whatever - let me know.

cheers

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

smokiespartakus wrote:

Just created an account, so I can actually be contacted..
What version of WinSCP are you using? Have you tried the latest 5.0.8 RC?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum