link doesn't work if it is not in the same directory as target

Advertisement

jglashow

link doesn't work if it is not in the same directory as target

version 3.6.1 (build 221)

Hi,
I am trying to utilize soft links that are on a Solaris system, but I get an error when clicking on the link within the winSCP interface.
I can create a link using the file: add/edit link function to create a link in the same directory as the target. This shows up as a directory with a short cut arrow on it.
If I move that directory to another location it turns into a file with a short cut icon, and gives me an error message. These are the same messages I get when clicking on a softlink (ln -s) that I know works if I am browsing directly on the Solaris box. They are as follows:

cannot open remote file: /home/sci/link1 (this is the name of the link, not the target directory)
No such file or directory.
Error code: 2
Error message from server: No such file (*)
Request code: 3

copying files from remote side failed
Cannot open remote file '/home/sci/link1'.

Keep in mind, this is not during a copying session, I am merely trying to click on an existing link.
Let me know if I am doing something wrong.
Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: link doesn't work if it is not in the same directory as target

jglashow wrote:

If I move that directory to another location it turns into a file with a short cut icon
What directory do you move? You mean the directory that the symbolic link points to? Symbolic links are relative, if you move the directory/file it points to, the symbolic link is no longer valid.

Is the shortcut icon white as usually or red (red means invalid link)?

Also check in the link file Preferences dialog what is actual path it points to. You may also use add/edit function to see the path.

copying files from remote side failed
Cannot open remote file '/home/sci/link1'.

Keep in mind, this is not during a copying session, I am merely trying to click on an existing link.
Let me know if I am doing something wrong.
Thanks.
If you double click on the symbolic link that does not point to directory (it is your case, because as you wrote above the link has "file" icon, not "directory" icon), then depending on WinSCP configuration, WinSCP either tries to download the file or to execute/open the file localy (which includes of course downloading the file first).

ChuckNewman

Telling WinSCP to create shortcuts during copy?

The original author said they were *NOT* doing this during a copy session; my question *IS* about soft links and shortcuts during copy sessions.

I would like to have WinSCP create shortcuts on my NTFS partition when it encounters a soft link in a copy session from a *N*X server, but I didn't see a setting to cause that behavior; is there one but I somehow missed it?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum