Put/Synchronize only files newer than XY

Advertisement

nexia

Put/Synchronize only files newer than XY

Hello!

I want to backup files from a continuously measuring instrument (location in time zone utc+8) to a ftp server (location in time zone utc+1 .. so... far away). The instrument produces approximately 100 MB/day. A new file at least every 24 hours.

2 problems came up so that I think I cannot simply use the synchronize command:
(1) The maximum available disk space available on the ftp server is 2 GB and I am not the only one using this disc space
(2) With regard to (1) the data will be moved to an other server. So the synchronize command will "see" that there are no identical files on the remote system and will copy all files, which will soon be too much ...

Don't ask me why the available space on the ftp server cannot be increased... I simply have to deal with it.
I cannot write to the other server directly, as this needs a vpn connection which is not possible for the instrument (in fact it causes trouble if the same vpn login is used twice and I need it by myself).

Does anyone have an idea how I can backup my measured data?

Nexia

---------
P.S.: It will take several hours until I can answer here again, as I am actually in time zone UTC+8 and will go to sleep now ;) ..but I am looking forward to see a lot of great ideas to solve my problem after breackfast tomorrow morning :D

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Put/Synchronize only files newer than XY

First, where are you running WinSCP? On the instrument? Or on a different box, separate both from the instrument and the FTP server?

nexia

Hi.

The Instrument consist of some inlets, some spectrometers and a computer in which labview is installed to manage the data acquisition and storage on this computer.
On this computer (Win XP operating system) WinSCP is running. The FTP server stands completely seperated on a different continent...

I was thinking about a different possibility:

- copy all new files into folder names backupMM-DD-YYYY (the acutal date) via batch script and xcopy
- copy this folder via batch script and winscp to the ftp server.

Would this be possible? Or is there an easier way?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

nexia wrote:

- copy all new files into folder names backupMM-DD-YYYY (the acutal date) via batch script and xcopy
- copy this folder via batch script and winscp to the ftp server.

Would this be possible? Or is there an easier way?
There are other ways. But none really easier than this one. So go for it.

nexia

Hello.

Thanks for your answer.

I solved it now as follows

- delete all files in folder xy
- copy all files newer than 1 day into folder xy
- compress all files in folder xy into a zip-archive
- upload this zip-file via winscp.

I think this topic can be closed now.

Nexia

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum