Zero-sized files on transfer

Advertisement

FTMe

Zero-sized files on transfer

Using version 4.1.9 build 416 on a new install.
This is the first time using using this program.
If I try to transfer files from local to remote they come out zero sized. I open the files on remote and find they are empty. This happens if I drag between panes or use the sync directory dialog.
I have gotten a few very small files over – like 30bytes.

I can drag large files from server to local without a problem.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: ZERO-SIZED files on TRANSFER

Please post a full log file showing the problem.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. For posting extensive logs you may use pastebin or similar application. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

Here is the log from login to automatic change of folders to sync. I did this run several times, deleting files between. Even through the log shows all files went through, only two would have a file size and contain content when opened on the FTP site. The two files that worked would change every run. I've XX-out sensitive info.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

What is different about the two files? Are they larger? Which of the files in the log file are those? Have you tried another FTP client? Also tring passive mode may be worth.

Nothing. They are small .php files with text or a .gif file.

I tried it in passive mode. This time only one new file was synced – an 82 bye text file. I tried twice, and each time it came out zero sized. Attached is a log.

Advertisement

Telepath
Donor

Zero-sized transfer indicates broken connection
(in very rare case broken fs, but....)

FTP client have no data completing request, so log says nothing especially.

Going auto out of sync, so protocol(log) differs bw c/s.

Think so, maybe me wrong sometimes....

GEWIT

Zero length files transfered from local to remote

Running with both versions 4.2.3 and 4.1.9 WinSCP, when transfering text files from local Windows Server 2003 to remote site via SFTP, the remote file created is an empty, zero length file. About 90% of transfers done via command line result in an empty file, about 20% of transfers done via GUI result in an empty file. I will email logs of transfers that resulted in both empty and populated files. Text files are 3358 bytes in length.

Telepath
Donor

Re: Zero length files transfered from local to remote

GEWIT wrote:

when transfering text files from local Windows Server 2003 to remote site via SFTP, the remote file created is an empty, zero length file.
U dont have ness. rights 2 create/transfer these files?

GEWIT

I do not understand ness. rights. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes the transfer works OK, sometime it does not. I do not think it is a permissioning issue.

Advertisement

You may want to check if you have enough space on your server. Deleting some of the old files may help

eneely

Same problem

I am also having this problem. The log says a file was transferred, but only a zero sized files appears on the server.

I have turned off firewalls on my PC and router, and forwarded ports. Everything I can think of. This happens with multiple servers, and more than one FTP program. Totally has me stumped. Any ideas?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Same problem

@eneely: Please post a full log file showing the problem.

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you may email it to me. You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile. Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have emailed the log.

stillborn

Infinite Uploading File

I want to save file form text-editor, or upload direct from left panel and i got a 0% infinite uploading file. When i reconnect file on the host is empty :(
I update WinSCP to last version, but the problem remains.
the problem persists with other hosters. In the panel, these files are tranferred well.

Description: screenshot

error.jpg

Advertisement

stillborn

Re: Infinite Uploading File

Yes. This problem occurs intermittently and include regular upload or save from editor.

The only solution I've found - to change the file and save as long as the load does not go(google translate =\ )

But this solution does not always work

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Infinite Uploading File

stillborn wrote:

Yes. This problem occurs intermittently and include regular upload or save from editor.
Can you attach (or email me) complete session log file showing regular upload both for scenario, when it fails and when it does not (ideally for the same file)?

shootermacg

I've had this happen while downloading on a default IIS ftp server. A restart of the FTP site has always done the trick for me.

Advertisement

PK123

Issue Resolved for me

I had a similar issue, the issue was that particular folder in Unix didn't had enough space to copy that file. I just cleared some of the log files and it did work for me.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum