Default transfer mode should NOT be ascii!

Advertisement

car377

Default transfer mode should NOT be ascii!

Why is ascii mode transfer a default??? This a NASTY time bomb for the unsuspecting user. I've lost several days of work because of this "feature". The default mode should be to NOT change the transferred file! If someone actually wants the transfer tool to muck with the transferred file (!!?!?!?) then THAT should be a user selection, NOT the default.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Default transfer mode should NOT be ascii!

Default mode is auto, which picks transfer mode based on file extension. What kind/type of file are you having problem with?

car377

Re: Default transfer mode should NOT be ascii!

Gzipped binaries, shell scripts, anything that "auto" thinks it ought to modify because of the file extension. Modifying transferred files as a default (and without mentioning that the file is being modified) is messed up. When my installation utility eventually unpacks those files and begins to install them, it runs sha1sum on all of them to check for corruption during file transfer. Guess what? WinSCP corrupted some of them on purpose, and my installation attempt aborts. At its most fundamental level (default), a file transfer utility should transfer the file unmodified. If it plans to change the file, it should *tell* you that it's doing that, so you don't waste a lot of time troubleshooting non-existent networking issues.

abr15

Yes, yes

I very much agree with this user's suggestion.

By the way, this is a terrific product, that I use often.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum