Only small part of UTF-8 file is shown in internal editor

Advertisement

Linda Kaioh

Only small part of UTF-8 file is shown in internal editor

WinSCP version 5.0.7.2268 on Windows XP Prof SP3. Upgraded from 5.0.6.2074. Protocol is FTP. Using GUI in NC style.

I'm trying to edit text file from FTP server. Text file is in UTF-8 encoding with text in Russian. File name also contains cyrillic characters (server is FileZilla and it sends directory listing in UTF-8). I press F4 and wait for transfer to be completed. Then WinSCP shows internal editor. In this editor program shows only small part of file or in some cases nothing at all. In status bar it shows "UTF-8". When I switch to Windows-1251 editor shows full text (not decoded).

So I think editor just incorrectly decode UTF-8 text.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Only small part of UTF-8 file is shown in internal editor

Can you check the temporary file the edited files was downloaded to, if it is complete or not?

LALILU
Donor

Linda Kaioh wrote:

I'm trying to edit text file from FTP server. Text file is in UTF-8 encoding with text in Russian. File name also contains cyrillic characters (server is FileZilla and it sends directory listing in UTF-8). I press F4 and wait for transfer to be completed. Then WinSCP shows internal editor. In this editor program shows only small part of file or in some cases nothing at all. In status bar it shows "UTF-8". When I switch to Windows-1251 editor shows full text (not decoded).
Hi,

I had the same problem with the internal editor at WinSCP version 5.0.7.2268 on Windows 7 Professional 64Bit.
I've opened a file in the internal editor with windows-1251 encoding and switched with the "Encoding"-button on top to the utf-8 encoding.
The internal editor showed only 60 lines in UTF-8 and 240 lines in Windows-1251.

My solution was, go to the internal editor settings an choose UTF-8 as default encoding.
Then i've closed the internal editor and opened the file again in die editor.
Now the editor shows all 240 lines in UTF-8 AND all 240 lines when I switch to Windows-1251 with the "Encoding"-button on top.

Maybe there is a first initial issue?

Greetz.

Linda Kaioh

LALILU wrote:

I've opened a file in the internal editor with Windows-1251 encoding and switched with the "Encoding"-Button on top to the UTF-8 encoding.
The internal editor showed only 60 lines in UTF-8 and 240 lines in Windows-1251.

My solution was, go to the internal editor settings an choose UTF-8 as default encoding.
Then I've closed the internal editor and opened the file again in die editor.
Now the editor shows all 240 lines in UTF-8 AND all 240 lines when i switch to Windows-1251 with the "Encoding"-button on top.
It doesn't help me. File I've tried to open is in UTF-8 with signature. It correctly detected as UTF-8 despite of default Windows-1251 encoding.

I also set UTF-8 as default encoding and opened file still shown partially in UTF-8 mode.

Advertisement

LALILU
Donor

Linda Kaioh wrote:

It doesn't help me. File I've tried to open is in UTF-8 with signature. It correctly detected as UTF-8 despite of default Windows-1251 encoding.

I also set UTF-8 as default encoding and opened file still shown partially in UTF-8 mode.
I have another problem.
I've edited a UTF-8 php-file with the internal editor.
After I've saved my changes by clicking the "Save"-button my webserver doesn't run the script correctly.
Only a white site will be shown.
I must upload the original-file to run the script correctly.
I think there is an issue on file-saving in UTF-8 editor.

Greetz.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Linda Kaioh wrote:

Complete.
Can you email me a copy of the file from the local temporary folder? Any file that exhibits the problem would do.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

LALILU wrote:

i had the same problem with the internal editor at WinSCP version 5.0.7.2268 on Windows 7 Professional 64Bit.
I've opened a file in the internal editor with Windows-1251 encoding and switched with the "Encoding"-button on top to the utf-8 encoding.

Then I've closed the internal editor and opened the file again in die editor.
Now the editor shows all 240 lines in UTF-8 AND all 240 lines when I switch to Windows-1251 with the "Encoding"-button on top.
Are you aware that the "Encoding" button does not change file encoding? It only tell WinSCP in what encoding the file is. What encoding the file actually has?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Linda Kaioh wrote:

Just send it ^^
Thanks. Got it. I can reproduce the problem with the file. Working on a fix.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum