2 great suggestions (ext app + real-time sync)

Advertisement

mastabog
Donor

2 great suggestions (ext app + real-time sync)

Hello again Martin, I have a couple of suggestions which I think are of great importance to WinSCP.

1. The "Keep remote directory up to date" feature in my opinion should also look into sub directories. I know it is more difficult to get done but in fact it's not that hard (i'm a dev meself and worked in the past on sync apps). Right now it only watches the current directoy; what you could do is first parse the sub-directories of each local and remote hosts (create new/delete inexistent dirs if necessary, which could be a user option) and then monitor the list of directories that are on both hosts separately but simultaneously; after that you can apply the existent "Keep remote directory up to date" feature on all dirs.
I know you can use the "Synchronize" feature but its not at all the same thing. Synchronize takes a long time and you have to do it manually. A real-time sync is a very usefull feature when you are a developer. When you work on files, after saving, each file will be automatically uploaded to its rightful place to another server.

2. This is about being able to run an external app on the files on left andf right panels (local and remote). A feature that would get the file in the background (maybe a user option to specify a temp) then call an external user-definable application with 2 parameters: the left file and the right file. The user should be able to define his/hers application by using placeholders/variables for the left and right files (e.g. %1, %2 or $left, $right) and any other paramaters that the application requires. We could easy use any diff like application like this and not only.

I hope this helps but I really hope you will do this. I could help when I get some more spare time.

All the best and please do keep up the wonderful work

p.s. BTW, i just made my first donation today for winscp :D
Last edited by mastabog on 2006-04-27 19:57; edited 1 time in total

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: 2 great suggestions (ext app + real-time sync)

Both features above are already on the wishlist.
Thanks for the donation :-)

martin wrote:

Both features above are already on the wishlist.
Thanks for the donation :-)
Ooo, great! I can't wait to see them working :).
And you're welcome ;)

btw, is that wishlist posted or available somewhere that we can see? That way we wouldn't post suggestions/requests that are already on your wishlist.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

btw, is that wishlist posted or available somewhere that we can see? That way we wouldn't post suggestions/requests that are already on your wishlist.
The wishlist is not posted anywhere. I do not mind if you post requests for something that I have already on the wishlist. This way I know how much people want the feature :-)

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum