WinSCP freezes before uploading file - sometimes.

Advertisement

CameronD

This is a problem that has annoyed me for quite a while, but I have not been able to reproduce the conditions reliably.
WinSCP: various versions from 3.something up to 4.3.7 downloaded today.
Client OS: win7 X64 enterprise.
server: CentOS running openssh-4.3p2-72.el5.7.5 plus several previous versions.
Connection mode: sftp-3

Today I connected to home, downloaded a file or two, then tried to upload a .psd file (700kB) via drag-and-drop using the commander interface. WinSCP froze (unresponsive to mouse clicks, connection time in status bar was frozen, etc) and then suddenly it went through the file upload process and back to normal. At that stage the timer started again at a value that was about 4 and a half minutes after it froze. It did not restart the timer until after the upload had finished (nor draw anything else in the status line during the upload).

I then enabled logging, and started another upload and it froze as well. I also had the log window enabled and it also froze after showing a bunch of "session upkeep" lines. I think I had debug-1 level enabled.

Meantime I started another instance in WinSCP and connected to a different server running the same software and successfully uploaded about 10 different files (one at a time) - different sizes, text, binary, any variable I could think of. It never froze.
After something like 15 minutes I killed the original WinSCP program. The log file was zero length.
I compared the session settings - the only difference I could see between them was that I had compression ticked on the one that froze, but not on the other. So I tried with compression off, and it uploaded several files, but froze again on about the 3rd or 4th file from my home server.

A snippet of the log file shows

. 2012-03-09 19:03:12.106 Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:03:12.106 [Background 1] Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:03:12.619 Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:03:12.619 [Background 1] Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.330 [Background 1] File: "...filename....txt"
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.330 [Background 1] Copying "...filename.....txt" to local directory started.
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.330 [Background 1] Ascii transfer mode selected.
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.331 Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.338 Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.515 Session upkeep
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.952 [Background 1] Opening remote file.
> 2012-03-09 19:07:15.952 [Background 1] Type: SSH_FXP_OPEN, Size: 135, Number: 9731
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.952 [Background 1] Sent 139 bytes
. 2012-03-09 19:07:15.952 [Background 1] There are 0 bytes remaining in the send buffer
... etc
Note there is a 4 minute gap where nothing happens, then it proceeds (I guess) normally.

There is one other factor that I have observed, which may or may not be relevant.
Whenever I have noticed it lock up, the destination folder has been a mapped drive on a network share. Some sort of large ms-Windows file-server system. I tried a series of uploads from home to a local partition and it did about 10 files without a problem.
I switched to the ssh server that had not given any problems (uncompressed mode) and started uploading to a share on the file-server. It froze on the second file. And again the interval was close to 4 minutes.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP freezes before uploading file - sometimes.

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

CameronD

Thanks for that.
I have used the debug version, at various times today, and uploaded 48 different files without a single problem.

I thought - maybe the problem has gone away, but on rerunning 4.3.7 it locked up immediately on the first file I tried.

I will try 5.0.6 beta.

Followup - just as I was downloading 5.0.6, the 4 minutes expired, and the download started.
I hit the big red X to shut the program down and got the warning dialogue about "background transfer in progress". I tried to select "cancel" but it had locked up again just then.
From previous experiments it has never locked up partway through a transfer, only ever at startup.
and 4 minutes later it came to life and completed the transfer.

CameronD

Another update: 5.0.6 beta locked on two files out of two.

The diagnostic version, in between those tests, uploaded 6 files without problem.

Incidentally, when I kill it with task manager, the process remains in the "processes" list.
I started using process explorer to get more info, but it then shutdown (4 minutes had expired?). Is there anything useful that process explorer could tell you (I don't use it very often), or does the difference between the beta and the diagnostic version tell you enough?

Advertisement

CameronD

OK, have tried with the new debug version, and I have a bit more detail (and it's a bit more bizarre).
Debug version is 5.0.6 build 2081, comparing to 5.0.6 beta (bld 2074).

The problem reproduces when WinSCP runs on Win-7 x64 as well as 32-bit (failure rate is over 50%, but not 100%).
The problem does not occur when WinSCP runs on XP.

The problem happens when the destination share is on a windows server system, and it also happens when the share is attached to a Windows-7 (32-bit) desktop.
It does not happen when the share is attached to an XP(pro) desktop.

In all cases I am using windows AD accounts for access authentication - there is no "simplified file sharing" stuff.

Now, because of the security problem with writing the log file to the root dir of C:, I had started by specifying a destination folder in the environment, as specified in the debugging notes. This did not ever hang.
If I did not specify a WINSCPTRACE value, then it would hang, but of course it could not write a log file, because the program was attempting to write it to C:\Winscpnnntrace.log

When I ran WinSCP as administrator, it did not recognise any shared drives, until I discovered the EnableLinkedConnections registry setting.
When I finally managed to run as administrator, it did not hang.

After subsequently running ProcExplorer with elevated privs, the debug version of WinSCP did not hang (over 10 files).

Conclusion: if it can write a debug log file then it will not hang.

Then I had a great idea - point the log file to a shared drive, and run as a normal user. Finally, a log file following a hang? no. If I make a spelling mistake, and the log file folder does not exist, then it will hang. Otherwise it will upload without problem.

ChrisE

I'm having same issue on my Windows 7 machine. I'm using WinSCP (v 4.3.8, build 1771), commander interface. I have also applied the EnableLinkedConnections registry setting and am running WinSCP as an Administrator.

I find that the drag and drop copy functionality (from remote server to my 'local' shared server) causes my session to freeze but if I right click on the remote file and selecting copy it brings up the copy dialogue box and the transfer happens without issue. In the opposite direction (from my 'local' shared server to the remote server) I can drag and drop without issue. My logging setting is set to "No log".

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

ChrisE wrote:

I'm having same issue on my Windows 7 machine. I'm using WinSCP (v 4.3.8, build 1771), commander interface. I have also applied the EnableLinkedConnections registry setting and am running WinSCP as an Administrator.

I find that the drag and drop copy functionality (from remote server to my 'local' shared server) causes my session to freeze but if I right click on the remote file and selecting copy it brings up the copy dialogue box and the transfer happens without issue. In the opposite direction (from my 'local' shared server to the remote server) I can drag and drop without issue. My logging setting is set to "No log".
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

ceilers

Registered and also sent you an e-mail a little while ago. Thanks for replying.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

ceilers wrote:

Registered and also sent you an e-mail a little while ago. Thanks for replying.
Thanks. I have sent you an email.

bmorgan

any results from this testing - we are also struggling with the same problem - i can copy files to my local pc from a unix machine with no issues. once i connect to a network drive they will go through the first time and then subsequent tries causes winscp to hang for around the 4 minute mark as well

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

bmorgan wrote:

any results from this testing - we are also struggling with the same problem - i can copy files to my local pc from a unix machine with no issues. once i connect to a network drive they will go through the first time and then subsequent tries causes winscp to hang for around the 4 minute mark as well
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

Advertisement

Tried logging in numerous times, tried resetting password, even tried creating a new account 3 or 4 times.... having no success.... can you send a password change to whatever email i have on the account - hopefully i will see it (it is acting like my account doesnt match my email - which makes no sense at this point)

martin wrote:

bmorgan wrote:

Tried logging in numerous times, tried resetting password, even tried creating a new account 3 or 4 times.... having no success.... can you send a password change to whatever email i have on the account - hopefully i will see it (it is acting like my account doesnt match my email - which makes no sense at this point)

martin wrote:

bmorgan wrote:

bmorgan

help???

can you help me with this signon issue? - I put my username and email address in to reset password and it is telling me that they dont match.... not sure what else to do here. We need to get this resolved as soon as possible

martin wrote:

bmorgan wrote:

nova

martin wrote:

bmorgan wrote:

OK - I was able to re-register with a new username (wouldnt let me last week for some reason) anyway please send me the debug code with instructions and i will run it

Thanks

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

nova wrote:

OK - I was able to re-register with a new username (wouldnt let me last week for some reason) anyway please send me the debug code with instructions and i will run it
Thanks. I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

nova

martin wrote:

nova wrote:

Thanks. I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

I have tested the 5.0.8 test code you sent and this appears to correct the issue. Can you tell me what available version this code is in that I can download (I assume what you sent was test code and not the 5.0.8-RC version?)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

nova wrote:

I have tested the 5.0.8 test code you sent and this appears to correct the issue. Can you tell me what available version this code is in that I can download (I assume what you sent was test code and not the 5.0.8-RC version?)
I have sent you an email.

Holiday31

Hi!
I have that exactly same problem with my "new" win 7(x64) computer at work

I just installed winscp (coz' i love it) and no problem for "uploads", but today, just for 1 file download (in a local directory) it freezes and i can't download that file :(

Do you have a solution. I'm StephDotNet on twitter (i'll tweet it to you too ^^).

Thanks!

Advertisement

Holiday31

Interesting! After 15mins winscp just stopped freezing and began it's download like if nothing happened.

However I'm still ok for a solution (and help you finding it of course)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Holiday31 wrote:

Interesting! After 15mins winscp just stopped freezing and began it's download like if nothing happened.

However I'm still ok for a solution (and help you finding it of course)

martin wrote:

nova wrote:

I have sent you an email.

I did testing and emailed ya the results, please review in your email

Jimbob9

I'm also experiencing hangs using drag and drop from remote to local pane. Highlighting the files and using the 'F5 Copy' button at the bottom never results in a hang. I was also experiencing the hangs during usage of the 5.0.x releases. I cannot recall having had the same problem on any of the 4.x releases. Further information follows:

WinSCP v5.1 on Windows 7 x64 Enterpise (SP1)
Commander interface
Generally downloading to a mapped (Windows 2008 server) drive.
Remote server is CentOS release 5.5

Session protocol = SSH-2
SSH implementation = OpenSSH_4.3
Encryption algorithm = aes
Compression = No
File transfer protocol = SFTP-3

Are there any particular troubleshooting steps I should take?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Jimbob9 wrote:

I'm also experiencing hangs using drag and drop from remote to local pane. Highlighting the files and using the 'F5 Copy' button at the bottom never results in a hang. I was also experiencing the hangs during usage of the 5.0.x releases. I cannot recall having had the same problem on any of the 4.x releases. Further information follows:
Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a development version of WinSCP for testing to address you have used to register on this forum.

Jimbob9

martin wrote:

Jimbob9 wrote:

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a development version of WinSCP for testing to address you have used to register on this forum.
Thank you. I will let you know whether the problem still exists in the debug version you sent me.

Advertisement

dwiti13

Hello prikryl!

I am facing a similar issue with 4.8.3 and 5.0 version.
Would like to have the debug version.
I am a registered user but could not see your e-mail address.

Thanks.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

dwiti13 wrote:

I am facing a similar issue with 4.8.3 and 5.0 version.
Would like to have the debug version.
I am a registered user but could not see your e-mail address.
Apparantly you were not logged in when posting this.

gimeb

I have experienced the same issue on W7 64bit and WinScp v4.x After upgrading to 5.1.7 the issue with freezes while copying to the share was resolved

parthiban K

frozen problem 5.1.7

Hi everyone,
i am upload the upload the files in share(try to transfer the files it gets freezed) but i can able to download the files from share..
is there any solutions for this problem..
plz help me to resolve this problem... :) :)

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: frozen problem 5.1.7

parthiban K wrote:

Hi everyone,
i am upload the upload the files in share(try to transfer the files it gets freezed) but i can able to download the files from share..
is there any solutions for this problem..
plz help me to resolve this problem... :) :)
Can you first try to upgrade to the latest version of WinSCP?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum