winscp hangs when it can't contact server

Advertisement

mustardman

winscp hangs when it can't contact server

I love winscp but this one problem drives me nuts.

I am constantly connecting to dozens and dozens of different servers. Sometimes the port is wrong or sometimes they don't respond for other reasons. When that happens winscp basically hangs. It eventually times out but usually that takes awhile. Up to a minute or two. The ONLY way I have found to close it faster is to go into task manager and end the process. I tried setting one time out setting I found in winscp to 10 seconds but that only seems to work for very special circumstances. Not when winscp can't connect which is the majority of the time that it happens for me.

Can you please fix this somehow! Please!

WinSCP v5.1.3 but it's has done this for a few versions now. Don't remember having this problem when I used v4

Advertisement

mustardman

btw...the scenario for this seems to be when winscp knows the server is there but doesn't respond because maybe the sftp port is wrong or maybe there is something on the server blocking it like iptables.

When the server is not there at all then WinSCP gracefully gives up the search within the time out period.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: winscp hangs when it can't contact server

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum