Possibility to use WinSCP with SSH-GW.

Advertisement

SSH-GW user

Possibility to use WinSCP with SSH-GW.

In my company we have SSH-GateWay to outside world. WinSCP is not supportted by my company at all, but I like to use it my own private purposes. Is it possible to add a feature to use WinSCP with SSH-GW ?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Possibility to use WinSCP with SSH-GW.

I'm not quite sure, what is yours GateWay like. Is it a proxy?
Proxy will be supported with next version.

I would like to have this functionality too:

we use a single ssh2 server as a gateway to other systems that are running ssh2 as well. I would like to be able to set up a session that sets up a winscp to a target server via the ssh2 gateway. I can do this for normal ssh sessions by using agent forwarding and the 'remote command' option.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

I would like to have this functionality too:

we use a single ssh2 server as a gateway to other systems that are running ssh2 as well. I would like to be able to set up a session that sets up a winscp to a target server via the ssh2 gateway. I can do this for normal ssh sessions by using agent forwarding and the 'remote command' option.
WinSCP supports both "agent forwarding and the 'remote command' option". Have you tried?

WinSCP supports both "agent forwarding and the 'remote command' option". Have you tried?

I'm sorry to be 'Mr Thicky' dude but I can't find where the remote command option is. I see a 'telnet command' under the telnet proxy settings but I think I need a ssh proxy option with a 'remote command' setting that I can configure to run scp hostname. I'm really sorry to bug you on this 'coz I think the program is excellent.

Advertisement

I'm sorry to be 'Mr Thicky' dude

Well I was being Mr Thicky too - I found how to do what I wanted. The 'Shell Execute' option does the job - just enter 'ssh hostname' and the connection goes right through. Awesome!

Well I was being Mr Thicky too - I found how to do what I wanted. The 'Shell Execute' option does the job - just enter 'ssh hostname' and the connection goes right through. Awesome!

I have the excactly same problem, a single ssh-only machine between my workstation and internet. Naturally the company firewall is way too strict to allow any direct connections.

I checked all the options in WinSCP but no luck. Where is this "Shell Execute"? The "Telnet command" is not what I want, our gateway does NOT allow telnet connections.

I have not been able to find a direct answer to this question: is it possible to do scp/sftp through a machine that only allows ssh connections?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Guest wrote:

I checked all the options in WinSCP but no luck. Where is this "Shell Execute"?
See SCP tab of login dialog. There is "Shell/Enter" option. You may need to check "Advanced options" to reveal the tab.

martin wrote:

See SCP tab of login dialog. There is "Shell/Enter" option. You may need to check "Advanced options" to reveal the tab.

Riight, now I feel stupid. Btw. thanks for the fast reply.

Now it does connect to the far end server but (while tailing the syslog) I see "Failed password for user ..." and WinSCP gives me the error: "Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended)
Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 255."

How do I tell the correct password for the remote server?

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Guest wrote:

Now it does connect to the far end server but (while tailing the syslog) I see "Failed password for user ..."
I know little about this. SSH supports some way how to forward authentication information from one SSH server to another and/or how to allow authentication-less connection from one SSH server to another. AFAIK all this is about configuration of your servers not about the client (WinSCP). Maybe others may help you.

davidb

PROBLEM SOLVED:

I had the same problem, the gateway would not allow SSH command. I solved the problem by creating a tunnel with PuTTY as described here:

<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>#itlogin

I can now do WinSCP though the gateway!

-David

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Guest wrote:

Now it does connect to the far end server but (while tailing the syslog) I see "Failed password for user ..." and WinSCP gives me the error: "Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended)
Connection has been unexpectedly closed. Server sent command exit status 255."
See documentation for details about "Error skipping startup message" error.

no_one

SSH-GW user wrote:

In my company we have SSH-GateWay to outside world. WinSCP is not supportted by my company at all, but I like to use it my own private purposes. Is it possible to add a feature to use WinSCP with SSH-GW ?

Exemple you want to get a file F hosted on unix server S in /tmp directory which is behind a sshgateway G that you use to login with user U and you want to get that file F in your local directory D:\temp

Get F from unix machine :
pscp.exe -scp -i K U@G:S//tmp/F D:\temp

Put F to unix machine :
pscp.exe -scp -i K D:\temp\F U@G:S//tmp

Which is in fact :

pscp.exe -scp -i <your_key> <source> <destination>

where <source> is the file to transfert example if you want to transfer the file in your D:\temp

<source> will be like :
<sshgateway_user>@<sshgateway_IP>:<source_server>/<source_Path>/<source_file>

and

<destination> will be like :
<destination_path_or_file>

and so on

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum