Trouble installing WinSCP 5.1.4 in Windows 98

Advertisement

Steve Kleene

Trouble installing WinSCP 5.1.4 in Windows 98

I have failed in my first attempt to install WinSCP on my Win98 machine. Ultimately I hope to use SFTP and/or SCP with the machine booted in mode 5 (Command prompt only). I tried the installation in Normal mode (full Win98).

I downloaded winscp514setup.exe with Internet Explorer 5 and verified the md5sum. If I run the EXE, I get two popups:
Error Starting Program
The C:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\U9ZGT8FE\WINSCP514SETUP[1].EXE file
expects a newer version of Windows.
Upgrade your Windows version.
C:\WINDOWS\TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES\CONTENT.IE5\U9ZGT8FE\WINSCP514SETUP[1].EXE
Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.
I also tried unzipping winscp514.zip and calling winscp.exe. This also gave two popups:
Error Starting Program
The C:\TMP\TMP\WINSCP.EXE file expects a newer version of Windows.
Upgrade your Windows version.

C:\tmp\TMP\WINSCP.EXE
A device attached to this system is not functioning.
The OS is Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get this installed and running. Thanks.

Advertisement

Steve Kleene

Re: trouble installing WinSCP 5.1.4

I suggest you download WinSCP 4.4
Thanks. I did that and succeeded in every mode except the one I need. If I boot full Win98, it's successful. If I then go to the command line with Start->Run->command, it's successful.

But it fails if I reboot and select mode 5 (Command prompt only). In that case calling WinSCP.com gives the error "This program must be run under Win32". As I mentioned in my original post, I need this to function after I boot into mode 5. Is there any version that will succeed in that boot mode?

Thanks.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: trouble installing WinSCP 5.1.4

Steve Kleene wrote:

But it fails if I reboot and select mode 5 (Command prompt only). In that case calling WinSCP.com gives the error "This program must be run under Win32". As I mentioned in my original post, I need this to function after I boot into mode 5. Is there any version that will succeed in that boot mode?
Sorry, I did not notice this requirement. Anyway, I do not have Windows 98 to test this. Also I never heard of anyone trying this. Is network available at all in this mode?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum