Disable remote directory listing ?

Advertisement

oliverfr

Disable remote directory listing ?

Hello,

Bad luck is I have to connect many times a day to a server, to a directory containing thousands and thousands of files, and the time taken to read the remote directory's contents is quite long. Subjectively, no more than ten or twenty seconds, but, well, I tend to get fixated on the small things breaking the work's flow ;)

In case there are various cases when remote reading may happen, here's what I do : choose one of the servers in memory, and the steps shown are : Searching for host... > Connecting to host... > Authenticating... > Using username "username"... > Authenticating with pre-entered password. > Authenticated. > Staring the session... > Reading remote directory...

Please, would it be possible to DEACTIVATE the reading of the remote directory's contents ? To force the program to remember past cache and not try to refresh it ?
From what I could see in my searches, I don't think it is possible, but, hey, I risk nothing in asking for a confirmation :)

Thanks a lot if you can reply to me,
Kind regards,
Oliver

Advertisement

Pathduck
Donor
Pathduck avatar

We have the same thing, sometimes developers (ours) think populating directories with thousands of files are a good idea :roll:

I think probably the best thing in suvh a case is to set the start directory to something not containing the thousands of files, and use Putty or similar to do file operations there. Usually default dir is HOME and I assume this is not where the files are?

There are settings for Cache, also "Permanent Cache" but not sure how they work exactly?

oliverfr

Thanks for the reply :)

And thanks for the advice to log in one directory above the problematic folder, Pathduck... I would have made it if the folder above wasn't in the same situation :D Maybe I'll simply do the opposite, create an empty subfolder within the location I bookmarked, and have WinSCP log in to that empty folder, and then I'll see if I can move the files to the above "..." location. Or, heck, I'll wait the 15-20 seconds it takes :mrgreen:

Pathduck
Donor
Pathduck avatar

oliverfr wrote:

create an empty subfolder within the location I bookmarked, and have WinSCP log in to that empty folder, and then I'll see if I can move the files to the above "..." location. Or, heck, I'll wait the 15-20 seconds it takes :mrgreen:

Yeah, that would be simple - you have a history in the terminal (Ctrl+T), and you could just do "mv * .." - OR just drag and drop to the parent dir - easy peasy lemon squeezy :mrgreen:

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum