Internal Editor - transfer files on background?

Advertisement

Pathduck
Donor
Pathduck avatar

Internal Editor - transfer files on background?

Hey,
I tried searching for this topic - I assume it must have been discussed before.

Anyway, is there a way to make the internal editor transfer files on background? My problem is sometimes I accidentaly press Edit on a huge log file, and then it cannot be canceled, and Winscp runs out of memory and so on...

Transfer on background is a bit slower, since it has to make a new connection but we have a fast network, and it would be great to be able to cancel large file transfers, like can be done fore regular transfers.

Maybe there is a setting for this, but I've not been able to find one - "Transfer on background by default" just seems to affect regular transfer, not the internal editor?

cheers,
Stian

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Internal Editor - transfer files on background?

No, it is not supported.

Moreover, it won't help in your case anyway. WinSCP likely runs out of memory when loading the file into editor and that would not change.

Pathduck
Donor
Pathduck avatar

Thanks Martin. I definitely understand why it gets OOM, I just wanted to be able to avoid it altogether. Mostly I need to learn to look at file sizes before trying to edit such huge files :shock:

But I think if it was possible to transfer on background, we could also terminate the transfer and cancel the transfer before having to wait for the inevitable OOM to arrive :)

If it just isn't doable, I understand, no worries.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Pathduck wrote:

But I think if it was possible to transfer on background, we could also terminate the transfer and cancel the transfer before having to wait for the inevitable OOM to arrive :)
But you can cancel even the transfer on foreground. OR are there any problems with this?

Anyway, I'm adding option to check file size to tracker:
https://winscp.net/tracker/1085

Pathduck
Donor
Pathduck avatar

martin wrote:

But you can cancel even the transfer on foreground. OR are there any problems with this?

Yeah, that's the thing... I can't cancel a huge download - if I could it would be no problem :)

I try for instance to transfer a 400MB file over SCP and pressing cancel does nothing until the editor pops up.

I'll try to get some logs for you if you want.

thanks,
Stian

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Pathduck wrote:

Yeah, that's the thing... I can't cancel a huge download - if I could it would be no problem :)
What protocol are you using?

Pathduck
Donor
Pathduck avatar

martin wrote:

Pathduck wrote:

What protocol are you using?

I use SCP mostly - I now see the doc states the transfer cannot be canceled using SCP. However it can be canceled with SFTP.
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_progress#controlling

I think I had the whole thing mixed up - I thought SCP was the best protocol, apparently it is not, SFTP is far better :oops:

Thanks for the Bug-tracker, I think it will be a good feature to have regardless - I think for instance 100MB would be a good limit for warning - no-one in their right mind would want to edit a 100MB file in the internal editor :mrgreen:

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum