Useful recommendation feature on sorting files/directory

Advertisement

iso

Useful recommendation feature on sorting files/directory

I've been a big fan of winscp, but there's one thing that is really important capability yet unnoticeable.

Especially when we do sorting by files/directory modification date by descending.
If the modification of the directory is older than the files inside of it, it should be prioritized lower.

So i can't really find the proper top newer modification files that has been just updated, because the newer updated files are inside the directory which has modification date older.

The current sorting method is not logically wrong either, since we are sorting what is currently viewable.

But if you can have an options to sort by the newest modification date by ignoring the directory, that would be superb!

Sorry for my bad english, i try to explain as clear as possible, hope that's understandable enough.

Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Useful recommendation feature on sorting files/directory

Sorry, I do not really understand. It seems that you refer to some view, where you see both the directory entry and entries for files inside the directory. Do you refer to Find dialog?

iso

martin wrote:

Sorry, I do not really understand. It seems that you refer to some view, where you see both the directory entry and entries for files inside the directory. Do you refer to Find dialog?

yeah i just tested it, let me explain as clear as possible, the current ordering listed by newest modification date as follow:
- model (dir)
- view (dir)
- controller (dir)
- helper (dir)
- example.php (file)

then i update one the files 'inside' the 'helper' directory ...
the order item didn't change at all, because it is ordered by the directory modification date rather than the subfolders item also.
what i expected is, it should be in this ordering:
- helper (dir) --> this turn to be the newest
- model (dir)
- view (dir)
- controller (dir)
- example.php (file)

with this i can notice directly the newest file that i should propragate to the remote server.

Thanks i hope that's quite clear :)

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

WinSCP shows directory modification timestamp as it is reported by the server system. It does not invent the timestamp on its own. AFAIK, most systems change directory modification timestamp only, when the contents of the directory (meaning "list of files") change. So when new file is added or removed, not when contents of file changes only.

iso

i see, so is that impossible to make an option/feature to just order by the objective modification files/directory date ?

it doesn't mean to change the system ordering, just an additional process to be done after the system ordering though. :idea:

well it's okay, but if it's possible then it's gonna be very helpful i guess :wink:

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

For that WinSCP would have to read contents of all subdirectories to find the newest file in each.

teddy@...

martin wrote:

For that WinSCP would have to read contents of all subdirectories to find the newest file in each.

agree, maybe put in the future list :wink:
Thanks.

Rickkee

size and changed date not included in "Copy Results"

I can work around this limitation if the right click, select-all, copy to clipboard feature included the size and date stamp! So the bug is, Select All does not Select All, It only selects the directories and file names. Please consider as an improvement, that select all copy works correctly.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum