Uploading many files at once - ftp

Advertisement

ehd

Uploading many files at once - ftp

Hi,

great program, thank you very much!

But there is one thing I cannot really figure out.

If I drag one directory to the remote ftp-server, there will be only one background-transfer started at the same time, despite I configured 9.
If I drag 5 selected files to the remote ftp-server there will be only one background-transfer started at the same time.
If I drag 5 selected files ONE AFTER ANOTHER to the remote ftp-server there will be FIVE background-transfers started at the same time. Great!

But how do I manage to upload an entire directory with many subdirectories with automatically the max. number of background transfers are being started automatically?

If have tried this over and over again, but couldn't find out how.

Thanks alot!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Uploading many files at once - ftp

ehd wrote:

If I drag 5 selected files to the remote ftp-server there will be only one background-transfer started at the same time.
See Transfer each file individually on background by default:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_background

But how do I manage to upload an entire directory with many subdirectories with automatically the max. number of background transfers are being started automatically?
This request is being tracked already:
https://winscp.net/tracker/875

Advertisement

ehd

BTW,

how do you all realize uploading many files at once recursed into subdirectories?
It takes ***ages*** for directories with hundreds of files.

Thanks for you hints

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

ehd wrote:

It takes ***ages*** for directories with hundreds of files.
Please attach a full log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

ehd wrote:

Thanks for your answer, I made annotated screenshots, that may explain what I mean:
OK, so you do not think that WinSCP is slow as such when transferring lots of small files in a row? (comparing to other file transfer clients?)

ehd

it does not recurse file from subdirectories and downloads them not at once but one after another:

WInSCP:

directory -> file -> file -> file -> file (one thread at a time)

FOr example filezilla:

directory
-> file
-> file
-> file
-> file (4 threads at a time)

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum