5.5.3>5.5.4 requires reenter of passphrase even though saved

Advertisement

u01jmg3

5.5.3>5.5.4 requires reenter of passphrase even though saved

I use WinSCP Portable which means to update I download the new version and then replace the 'data' folder with that of my old version so that all my site definitions are imported. This process of using the portable version and updating in this way has worked well without issue for a long time now. However, updating from 5.5.3 to 5.5.4 I noticed that for sites where I am using a private key, even though my passphrase is saved with the site definition, 5.5.4 keeps asking for my passphrase every time I open a new connection.

See attached demo.

Here my connection has the correct passphrase saved already. I double-click to open the connection and WinSCP 5.5.4 prompts me to re-enter the same passphrase already saved against the site definition. I then paste in the same passphrase in the prompt and my connection is opened successfully. Not sure why it's prompting as falling back to v5.5.3 everything works as it should.

vgPPOgE.gif

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: 5.5.3>5.5.4 requires reenter of passphrase even though saved

Are you talking about a private key passphrase or a password. The passphrase cannot be saved.

Please attach a full log file showing the problem (using the latest version of WinSCP).

To generate log file, enable logging, log in to your server and do the operation and only the operation that causes the error. Submit the log with your post as an attachment. Note that passwords and passphrases not stored in the log. You may want to remove other data you consider sensitive though, such as host names, IP addresses, account names or file names (unless they are relevant to the problem). If you do not want to post the log publicly, you can mark the attachment as private.

u01jmg3

Yes, I am talking about a passphrase.

In 5.5.3 you can save a passphrase - I can make another demo GIF demonstrating the same saved connection (as used in my previous GIF for 5.5.4) but this time I am not prompted to enter my passphrase as it is already saved.

Logs attached for both 5.5.3 and 5.5.4
  • logs.zip (3.25 KB, Private file)
Description: Logs for both v5.5.3 (which lets me in with my saved passphrase) and v5.5.4 (which prompts me for my passphrase even though it is saved)

Advertisement

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum