Recover saved password

Advertisement

Kit

Recover saved password

Hello,
I have forgotten a password for a server but I can still connect with WinSCP, which has the password saved. The documentation says:
Saved passwords are stored in a manner that they can easily be recovered.
(https://winscp.net/eng/docs/security)

How do I do this? I have looked everywhere with no success.

Thank you very much for your help.

- Kit

Advertisement

Re: Windows Registry Recover Password

I found that Password Revealer (<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>) or Password Unmask (<invalid hyperlink removed by admin>) or similar programs will reveal the password behind the asterisks.

Jonathan Harriot

Rekenwonder's Revealer wokrs wonderfully

Thanks for the recommendation, jsut recovered some stored passwords from WinSCP after moving from XP to Vista.

IC3

Re: Recover saved password

Is it possible to recover a password and/or Master password if I've managed to lose both?

Advertisement

CPblsfwins

Need to recover WinSCP 4.2.5 password

I need to recover a stored session password which WinSCP has – I have tried some of the tools listed in this thread as well as some found by web searching and they did not work – I am on Windows XP. I tried rekenwonder password revealer – didn't work.
Neither did smartftp.com's tool. reaktiv software (spelling?) offered a download containing a Trojan horse.

Can someone help with this?

Thanks.

n10s

Lost Master Password

Unable to access some sites due to request for master password. When i enter the password that i recall using it doesn't work. Any reset possible?

Advertisement

samwan

I am using WinSCP on my Windows box and I am storing all my passwords protected by a master password in my winscp.ini.

Is there any command line program / way / whatever to read this file on my Linux PC?
Basic functionality should just be to have a way to decrypt the passwords, I can write the rest script by myself but my C/C++ knowledge is just not enough to understand the way the encryption is working.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@samwan: I'm not aware of any such tool. WinSCP uses a proprietary format of the encrypted password. So the tool would have to be built specifically for WinSCP.

Thank you for your fast answer. Is there any documentation or information on how this is done so I could write such a script myself? I tried to understand the sources but sadly I have no idea of C/C++.

I would love to continue using WinSCP on my windows PC and be able to use the same password source on my native Linux terminal since using PuTTY via Wine under Linux is a bit silly.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

In the latest release, passwords are logged, when logging of sensitive information is enabled:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_logging

You can also abuse a Generate URL function to retrieve a saved password:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_generateurl

Note that special symbols in the password may get URL-encoded. Decryption key is here:
https://winscp.net/eng/docs/session_url#special

Both approaches are covered in FAQ:
Can I recover password stored in WinSCP session?
Last edited by martin on 2015-03-30; edited 1 time in total

Advertisement

gues

Just found an easy way.. login to WinSCP session, Click Session>Generate Url, Check the password box..voila.. you can see the password in generated URL.,.. The password may be url encoded, which you can decode back...

ToddRasmussen

I've looked everywhere...

I have been through this entire thread. I do not wish to use a third party password retriever for a couple of solid reasons. Martin, I hope you answer my post.

I have tried using the session logs, but they do not show my password. It shows my username and shows that it is using a saved password, but it doesn't show what it is...
! 2016-08-03 09:14:58.589 Using username "rrasmta".
. 2016-08-03 09:14:58.606 Prompt (7, SSH password, , &Password: )
. 2016-08-03 09:14:58.607 Using stored password.
. 2016-08-03 09:14:58.653 Sent password
. 2016-08-03 09:14:58.669 Access granted
So then I tried to use the Generate Session URL/Code function method you outline, but I can see no option under Session for this, I also see no Manage menu item at all. I am running v5.1.7 (Build 3446)

I welcome an email response if necessary to trasmuss@dcca.hawaii.gov.

Thank you in advance,

Todd Rasmussen
State of Hawaii

Advertisement

Re: I've looked everywhere...

Unfortunately, I work for the Government and I do not have the ability to upgrade my software at this time. Is there any way to retrieve a stored password with version 5.1.7? I would be grateful if you could provide me with some relief as I have 3 stored sessions to servers and I cannot access except through one PC that has WinSCP on it and I need to get off of that machine.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum