running WinSCP from a network server

Advertisement

parrothead

running WinSCP from a network server

I am running WinSCP from another computer successfully. I would like to implement this for two different users on a network server. However, I'm confused as to where the site connections are saved. I'm using WinSCP version 5.5.0 on Windows7, Commander style (I would upgrade prior to installing on the server).

When I launch WinSCP on the other computer, there are three connections saved. When I launch it from my computer (running on the other computer), there is one, completely different connection saved (which is what I expected/hoped for).

There is a winscp.rnd file in the Roaming folder of my AppData on the other computer (I am a user on both computers, with the same login credentials). A winscp.rnd file does not get created on my computer until I save a shortcut, but if I don't create the shortcut, the rnd file doesn't get created on my computer. Edit: This last sentence is not true; the winscp.rnd file does get created on my computer even without the shortcut.

The hope is that both of these users can, from their desktop, use WinSCP running on the server without being able to see any of the credential information, or being able to access the other user's connection.

Is this possible?

If so, where is the connection info (and username and password) stored?

I just need to be able to explain how or why this is secure to my network admin.

Thanks!

Advertisement

parrothead

WinSCP from a network server

I continued reading the documentation and understand a little more now about the connection configurations. So my only question now, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to have multiple end-users launch WinSCP from a server or network share?

I haven't yet looked into what would happen if two users attempted to launch WinSCP on the same server at the same time.

Is there anything else I would need to be aware of in this scenario?

Thanks!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: running WinSCP from a network server

I'm not sure if I understand your question.

What do you mean by "running WinSCP from a network server": Do you run WinSCP executable from a network share? Or do you actually refer to the server you are connecting to?

parrothead

Right now I'm running it from a network share. I've tried it with both the gui and a script and so far no problems.

My network admin seems to be ok with this solution, but I wanted to check with the experts to see if there is any reason why we wouldn't want to do this. I'm a developer, so I'm usually oblivious to most network best practices and gotcha's.

Thank you!

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

parrothead wrote:

My network admin seems to be ok with this solution, but I wanted to check with the experts to see if there is any reason why we wouldn't want to do this. I'm a developer, so I'm usually oblivious to most network best practices and gotcha's.
If you local policy allows that, there's no problem.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum