lock files

Advertisement

michael.schmitz

lock files

Hi,

I'd like to request to add a feature to lock files. I know an old client (BitKinex) supports this feature, and hope WinSCP could add this to make it easier for multiple people using the same space.

greetings,
Michael

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Do you want WinSCP to automatically lock files while downloading or uploading? Or do you want explicit commands to lock/unlock files?

Advertisement

dansou901

Hi, just wanted to revive the discussion about this feature. Thing is, besides BitKinex there is no other free client I know which supports locking/unlocking files on command. We would like to recommend WinSCP as WebDAV client to all our customers using our Webhosting service, but that's not possible until WinSCP supports this feature. I know that no one else asked for it in the last months, but I'm sure that WinSCP will be recommended by many Webhosters once that feature is included. Thanks!

dansou901

Use case is mostly support. When customers create tickets complaining that they can't delete or change files on their WebDAV, that's mostly a file locking issue. In this case, we recommend the customers to use BitKinex to remove the lock on the files, then they can work normally again. Problem is, some WebDAV-Clients like Windows Explorer and so on sometimes lock the files automatically without the chance to let the customer notice that. So we need to have a solution for that problem. BitKinex is much too old now and isn't supported anymore, so there is no other free WebDAV-Client having that feature.
We would like to recommend WinSCP instead as it is actively supported and up to date, also the WebDAV functionality is easy to use.

Advertisement

Petr
Petr avatar

dansou901 wrote:

We would like to recommend WinSCP as WebDAV client to all our customers using our Webhosting service, but that's not possible until WinSCP supports this feature.

Could you share with us about how many customers are we talking here? :-)

dansou901

Petr wrote:

dansou901 wrote:

We would like to recommend WinSCP as WebDAV client to all our customers using our Webhosting service, but that's not possible until WinSCP supports this feature.

Could you share with us about how many customers are we talking here? :-)
A whole university...

Advertisement

dansou901

martin wrote:

Also, do you know what WebDAV servers support this?

At least all WebDAV servers running on Apache mod_dav. I'm not sure about other webservers as I don't use them...

Advertisement

Ashley Ross

Hi Prikryl,
Have you tested this functionality? I am also interested in this feature so please let me know if there is any update.
<a title="best web portfolio">Palm Springs</a>
Email: a.ross@thefas-solutions.com

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ashley Ross wrote:

Have you tested this functionality? I am also interested in this feature so please let me know if there is any update.
I have sent you a development version too.

gyurix

webdav locking

hello prykryl,

could you please send me this new not published version? I would like to test webdav locking.
My email address is gyurix@...

martin wrote:

Ashley Ross wrote:

Advertisement

Ashley Ross

Re: webdav locking

martin wrote:

So nice of you. :)
<a title="best web portfolio">Palm Springs</a>
Email: a.ross@thefas-solutions.com

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

gyurix wrote:

could you please send me this new not published version? I would like to test webdav locking.
Sent.

gyurix

Thank you very much! :D

martin wrote:

gyurix wrote:

Sent.

Advertisement

v4kboy

webdav locking

I'm also very interested in this new functionality. hope it comes out soon so we can test it out. :D

severy

Development version and release schedule for 5.8

Prikryl,

Like others here, I am looking for a good Windows WebDAV client that supports file locking, and it sounds like your upcoming release will provide exactly that. I see in Bug #1315 that locking has been implemented in version 5.8, but the latest official version available for download is still 5.7.5. Do you have an anticipated release date for 5.8? And is it still possible to get the development version mentioned earlier in this thread? My e-mail address is .....

Best Regards,

Randall Severy
Last edited by severy on 2015-10-16 13:20; edited 1 time in total

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Development version and release schedule for 5.8

severy wrote:

Like others here, I am looking for a good Windows WebDAV client that supports file locking, and it sounds like your upcoming release will provide exactly that. I see in Bug #1315 that locking has been implemented in version 5.8, but the latest official version available for download is still 5.7.5. Do you have an anticipated release date for 5.8? And is it still possible to get the development version mentioned earlier in this thread? My e-mail address is severy@inroads.us.
Sorry, we do not give any dates. But it will take at least few weeks.
Development version sent.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum