UTF-8 filenames for SCP?

Advertisement

HappyUser

UTF-8 filenames for SCP?

I am happy that the support of UTF-8 Unicode is finally included in version 3.7.1, for SFTP v4 or newer. Unfortunately it seems that even with Fedora Core 2, SFTP v4 is not there (the connection shows SFTP v3). My question is that why it is not supported in SCP? Please forgive me if this is a silly question.

Advertisement

HappyUser

Re: UTF-8 filenames for SCP?

martin wrote:

I do not know if SCP supports UTF-8. For example OpenSSH does not seem to use UTF-8 with SCP.

Thanks for replying. I tried to search on this but didn't get anything useful. However, I am sure OpenSSH has some way to deal with UTF-8, since I can successfully scp files with UTF-8 names from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 1 (I am not saying this is only one directional; I simply did'nt try the other way, from FC1 to FC2.).

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: UTF-8 filenames for SCP?

HappyUser wrote:

Thanks for replying. I tried to search on this but didn't get anything useful.
You cannot find anything useful on SCP at all :-( I have never found even specification of the protocol. So I had to do reverse engineering of existing clients.

However, I am sure OpenSSH has some way to deal with UTF-8, since I can successfully scp files with UTF-8 names from Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 1 (I am not saying this is only one directional; I simply did'nt try the other way, from FC1 to FC2.).
Hm, are you sure? OpenSSH of Linux does not seem to use UTF-8 for SCP.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum