WinSCP does not upload changed file when using external editors with tabbed interface

Advertisement

Chanz

WinSCP does not upload changed file when using external editors with tabbed interface

Hi,

TL;DR
when using an external editor to edit a remote file via SFTP the file is not uploaded when its saved.

My Setup
I'm using WinSCP 5.7.4 on my Laptop (Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit) and WinSCP 5.5.4 on my Desktop (Win 7 Pro SP1 64 Bit).
Everything that follows has been an issue on my Laptop, on my Desktop 5.5.4 of WinSCP works as expected. Please notice installing 5.5.4 on my Laptop does not fix the problem, even when uninstalling WinSCP and all its settings, before the reinstallation of 5.5.4.

I'm using the German locales on my Laptop and the English locales on my Desktop. Installing 5.5.4 in English on my Laptop didn't work either.

Details
I'm using Sublime Text 3 and additionally tested with Notepad++ to edit files, but they are never uploaded.

I've got the upload to work when I checked "External editor opens each file in separate window (process)" and then closing Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 after editing and saving a file.

I guess the problem is with the tabbed interface and WinSCP can't detect if the file has been modified in the temp directory.

Running WinSCP with Administrator rights didn't help either.

I hope we can fix this issue. :-)

Thanks and best regards,
Chanz

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP does not upload changed file when using external editors with tabbed interface

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

Chris123

Same Issue with WinSCP 5.7.5 portable

Good Morning,

I face now the same Issue. Also with German language WinSCP (5.7.5) and Notepad++. Can you tell me how to fix this?

Kind Regards, Chris

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Same Issue with WinSCP 5.7.5 portable

@Chris123: In WinSCP GUI in Commander interface, is a local panel automatically refreshed when a directory shown in the local panel is changed (e.g. a file is added)?

Nolias

Hello, I have the same issue. When editing files in Notepad++, WinSCP not upload files after saving them.

In GUI, when I add file (in Explorer) to folder displayed in the local panel, view is refreshed.

Sorry for my English.

Nolias.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

@Nolias: Thanks for your report.

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

AlekseiGP

I have same issue, but workaround

Hello! I have same issue with Notepad++. I change it to short path C:\Temp\WinSCP, and it works now. Preferences - > Storage - > Temporary directory, set path in "Use this directory".

madrian

hello

Hi,

I have similar problem: when I hit save in the external editor, then it is not immediately saving/uploading the file on the FTP server, only when I quit from the external editor.

It is not possible to immediately save/upload modificated file when I hit save in the external editor?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: hello

And I have the same answer:

Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

Alex2057

Re: Do not save changes when you edit in Notepad++

Hello!
I have the same problem with Notepad++, like Nolias.
Changes made to the file on the server is not saved. It does not appear at the bottom of the window "Background Transfer".
But if you choose a different editor (notepad), changes will be saved.
If you are editing a file on the local disk, then the changes will be made.
This problem has recently appeared.
The server is located in a local network. Put WinSCP on another local PC, - everything is working properl!! WinSCP settings and Notepad++ the same on both PC.
Rearranges WinSCP and Notepad ++, but nothing has changed.
Configuration:
Windows XP SP3
WinSCP v. 5.7.5 (build 5665).
Notepad++ v.5.7

Sorry for my English.

Thank you.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Do not save changes when you edit in Notepad++

Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to the address you have used to register on this forum.

Denny

Problem with saving files online

Hello,

Since I got my new PC I can't edit files on my webserver. So I read a lot about it but I did not found a solution, I think this is a Windows 10 side problem.

First time I open the files with Notepad++ after editing there was no upload so I have to do it like 1999 download first and later upload but it spends so much time. After I found a solution to change folder, now I have much more errors, one error says I need administrative rights the other error means it is still open but Notepad ist closed. I dont have idea where the problem is. Can someone send me the settings for using Notepad++ on Windows 10?

Advertisement

Niki

Don't allow external editors to open separate window (process)

For me it was Excel the culprit. Unchecking* the
"External editor opens each file in separate window (process)"
fixed the issue.
You'd find this in Preferences -> Editors -> [yourEditor] -> Edit

Apparently upon opening a file, WinSCP was creating a new local temp folder for the new process of the external editor. Then, it was bugging up, trying to close/clean the original temp folder, throwing an error that it couldn't delete it (because the file is opened from it). So any updates to the file weren't uploaded on the remote host, because they were in the original local temp folder, while winSCP was taking the file from the new local temp folder.

winSCP_bug.jpg

Himani

Saving Opened File in WinScp

When file is opened in external editors. it doesn't get saved. This is resolved by updating the Editors to Notepad++ and then click on the option "Force text transfer mode" and untick the option "Open each file in separate window". By this issue will be resolved.

Advertisement

Arni

Well i got a similar issue.

So i am trying to use an external editor but recently when its opened it then it will just say "deleted" on the side of the name and then not want to save it to it.
Meaning its useless the work i do on vsc and requring me to either write it on vsc then use the internal editor just to save my files that i just changed.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Well i got a similar issue.

@Arni: Please describe step by step how to reproduce your problem, including the external editor configuration in WinSCP. Some screenshots would help. Better if you start a new thread for this (post a link here, if you do).

rubbia

File not upload on winscp when saved it from any editor

My Files are not saved until 1 close it saveral times and open again. Sometimes i olny press space bar and save the file it automatically load the previous changes but this also happens sometimes after trying almost 5 to 10 times a single file. Please check the issue and help ma to resolve it.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: File not upload on winscp when saved it from any editor

@rubbia: As above: Please describe step by step how to reproduce your problem, including the external editor configuration in WinSCP. Some screenshots would help. Better if you start a new thread for this (post a link here, if you do).

Advertisement

chandumahara

I am also getting the same problem. When editing any file using Sublime 3 and saving that file.... But it asks me to save a new file. Even I am not updating the file....

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP does not upload changed file when using external editors with tabbed interface

@chandumahara: As above:
  • Do you have "External editor opens each file in separate window (process)" turned on https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_editor_preferences
  • Please describe step by step how to reproduce your problem, including the external editor configuration in WinSCP. Some screenshots would help. Better if you start a new thread for this (post a link here, if you do).

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum