Auto reconnect does not work when using multiple tabs

Advertisement

SanderP

Hi,

it seems that the auto reconnect feature only works for the connection tab that's 'in front'. You have to switch to the other tabs before they attempt to reconnect. I don't think this is desirable. All connections are otherwise similar in that they update files when you write them locally. I was therefore expecting them to also reconnect when needed. My VPN connection is generally reliable but sometimes they fail. There is no visible indication when a :w in a vim window did not result in the file being written to the remote host. This leads to, let's say, 'confusion' :-)

Is there an extra option to have -all- connections auto reconnect or is this a bug? I'm using 5.1.4. Thanks for such an outstanding program. I've used it for years.

Thanks,

Sander

Advertisement

SanderP

Thank you! In the past I used one WinSCP session per connection but then you can't update options so I started using multiple connections in a single session. It appears from the bug that connections are considered 'inactive' when they're not in the foreground, right? I'm probably not the only one who has files open from multiple connections at the same time :)

naeco

My apology if I shouldn't revive old threads.

I'm on v5.7.6 (build 5874) and running 3 sessons (1 SFTP, 2 FTPs). The OS is Windows 10 Pro

Like the OP, my session only attempt to reconnect if I switch to its tab. Therefore, in order for the transfer to recommence, I have to switch to each tab (by the way: it'd be great if all the sessions can reconnect simultaneously to reduce the time we have to wait for one connection to be established before switching to another tab to reconnect again).

Thanks!

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Auto reconnect does not work when using multiple tabs

Though if you save a file opened from the disconnected non-active session, WinSCP will prompt you to reconnect.

naeco

martin wrote:

Though if you save a file opened from the disconnected non-active session, WinSCP will prompt you to reconnect.

Thanks for the reply!

A quick back story as to why this issue is bothering me so much. I'm running the machine on 2 seperate LAN both of which are connected to the internet. When I run a command to switch the machine to another network, the internet is lost for a split second or two. That interrupts any on-going transfers that I was having.

When a connection drops on an inactive tab, I only get a pop-up at the end of Windows' taskbar telling me the connection is lost due to a network error.

I only get the prompt (within the app) when I switch to its tab. Otherwise it remains inactive. Therefore if I lose internet which will disconnect all the sessions, I'll have go to each session to have them reconnect again.

I set the waiting time to 2 seconds before auto reconnect. Those 2 seconds only roll when I switch to the tabs, else the connections remain disconnected as long as the tabs are inactive.

Sometimes, when the 2 seconds run out, the session is not reconnecting but the auto reconnect prompt runs another 30s. (This is probably a bug)

If the auto reconnect feature is supposed to work that way, it's not working well for multiple tabs.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

naeco wrote:

If the auto reconnect feature is supposed to work that way, it's not working well for multiple tabs.
Well, regarding the "supposed to work": It's as it is currently implemented. Improvements are possible. It's all about priorities.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum