[5.0.2 1456] Can't restore window from tray

Advertisement

Adambean
Adambean avatar

I have the option defined in Preferences->Enviroment->Window to minimize the window to the system tray.

WinSCP appears in the tray once minimized, however it can't be opened again. Left/right clicking it does nothing, though the site name I'm connected to shows up in the tool tip.

Using beta 5.0.2 build 1456 on Windows 7 (x64).

Adam Reece.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: [5.0.2 1456] Can't restore window from tray

I cannot reproduce the problem.
In what state do you minimize the window? When idle, during transfer, while synchronizing...? Did you have the problem with 4.3.x?

ajmaske

Can't restore window from tray

Using Version 5.0.2 (Build 1456) on Windows XP (w/ all service packs) ...

Same thing here... almost every time, and seems random. Once it goes to the tray it may or may not come back, the only way back is to close the process and restart the app...

I've always done it normal window state (not maximized) and when idle... I didn't ever see it happen in v 4.3.x ...

Adambean
Adambean avatar

It's always from maximized for me. Got your email.

Just tried it out, seems to be fixed. Tried from normal and maximized windows -- thank you :)

Edit: Also restores fine during non-background transfers.

Advertisement

fmccown

Still a problem

I have WinSCP 5.0.5 beta installed on Windows 7 (64) and am having the same problem. Version 4.3.6 also had the same problem. When I launch the program, it immediately appears in the taskbar, but the window will not come up. Clicking on it in the taskbar will not bring up the window although I can see the small preview window that Windows 7 shows for apps that are minimized in the taskbar... it is showing the WinSCP Login screen. I've attached a screen shot.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing and rebooting. I've used an earlier version of WinSCP (4.?) for months on the same machine and never had this problem. It just started happening today.

Description: WinSCP Login preview window is displayed when mouse is placed on WinSCP icon in the taskbar.

winscp_problem.png

fmccown

Re: Still a problem

I figured out the problem... the app was popping-up on a second monitor which I had turned off. :? Please disregard.

Advertisement

Ed

I had the same Issue.

Workaround:

- Open task manager
- Seek for the WinSCP process
- Right clic and select "Switch to"

Regards

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Ed wrote:

I had the same Issue.
Are you able to reproduce your problem using the latest version of WinSCP?

I have the same Issue on Windows 7 with WinSCP v5.1.7 Build 3446.

If I minimize a WinSCP window during a long file transfer, I can't get it to restore. I have even tried Ed's workaround, but it doesn't restore the window.

Regards,

Shahriar.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

I have the same Issue on Windows 7 with WinSCP v5.1.7 Build 3446.
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

You will find my address (if you log in) in my forum profile.

Advertisement

rt

same problem

Same problem. When I launch WinSCP, it appears in tray but won't open up on the desktop. Been using this program for years. Problem started a few weeks ago, perhaps after an Windows update? Upgrading to the most recent version of WinSCP didn't solve the problem. Advice?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: same problem

rt wrote:

Same problem. ...
Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

OW wrote:

I'm having the same problem.

Has this still not been fixed since 2011?
Thanks for your report.

barrios

Winscp 5.5.5 stays minimized on taskbar

I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else and I just loaded the latest WinSCP 5.5.5 on my machine. I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. Any idea when this'll be fixed?

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Winscp 5.5.5 stays minimized on taskbar

barrios wrote:

I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else and I just loaded the latest WinSCP 5.5.5 on my machine. I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. Any idea when this'll be fixed?
Thanks for your report.
I have sent you an email with a debug version of WinSCP to address you have used to register on this forum.

Roger Ramjet

WinSCP in task bar

I know this thread is old, but I have just run into the opening in the taskbar and not restoring issue. Here's what I found. My setup is a laptop which is connected to two external monitors with one of them designated as the primary. The start menu and such shows on that monitor and I start all my programs in the usual manor from there. However, WinSCP appears to open in the task bar already minimized. What I found after reading through this thread is that the program did open normally, but is showing on the laptop's screen instead of the designated primary display. I can drag the window to where I want, but I believe you should be able to obey the monitor designations when you open the primary window (since all other programs I'm running seem to have no problem).

Hope this helps!

Roger

Advertisement

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: WinSCP in task bar

Roger Ramjet wrote:

I know this thread is old, ...
So your system actually has three displays, right? WinSCP (as many other applications) always starts on the same display it was closed the last time. So if you closed WinSCP on your laptop screen, it opens there the next time. No matter what your primary display is.

metoo

Re: Still a problem

fmccown wrote:

I figured out the problem... the app was popping-up on a second monitor which I had turned off. :? Please disregard.
me too :D :D :D

I have the same Issue on Windows 10 with WinSCP v5.7.7 Build 6257.

Started to use the auto synchronize feature today. If I minimize the WinSCP window during "Keep remote directory up to date", I can't get it to restore. I have also tried Ed's workaround, but it doesn't restore the window.

- sftp
- commander

Regards,
christoph

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Anonymous wrote:

Started to use the auto synchronize feature today. If I minimize the WinSCP window during "Keep remote directory up to date", I can't get it to restore. I have also tried Ed's workaround, but it doesn't restore the window.
So you click Minimize button on the "Keep remote directory up to date" window.
And if you immediately afterwards (without changing any file), click the WinSCP tray icon, it won't restore?

Advertisement

christoph

restore minimize fails

It ist not Minimize to tray it is just Minimize, correct.
Minimizes to Windows bar and not to tray.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: restore minimize fails

Thanks for your report.

Hi prikryl,

sorry for the late respond. I've tested sveral days and winscp works absolutely fine. I really don't know what the problem was the other two evenings. I think windows 10 is to blame for that, because while I tested winscp I noticed similar problems with the taskbar.

Sorry to bother you, have a good time.

Advertisement

christoph

christoph wrote:

Hi prikryl,

sorry for the late respond. I've tested sveral days and winscp works absolutely fine. I really don't know what the problem was the other two evenings. I think windows 10 is to blame for that, because while I tested winscp I noticed similar problems with the taskbar.

Sorry to bother you, have a good time.
forgot to insert my name :oops:

julia1

Same issue

Sometimes I can reopen the window after telling it to minimize to the system tray, sometimes I can't and becomes non-responsive to right or left clicks.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: Same issue

julia1 wrote:

Sometimes I can reopen the window after telling it to minimize to the system tray, sometimes I can't and becomes non-responsive to right or left clicks.
Same issue, same response: Can you send me an email, so I can send you back a debug version of WinSCP to track the problem? Please include link back to this topic in your email. Also note in this topic that you have sent the email. Thanks.

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum